"Frozen Shoulder"

Old 08-05-2011, 04:05 PM

I took PT FOR my frozen shoulder. Plus i had a shot of cortizone. It helped some but I ended up getting this big dog. He yanked on it a few time and you would be surprised how free I can move it now. I have lots of trouble sleeping at night though. Its hard to get comfortable. Besides the other shoulder hurts worse. i have three bone spurs and a torn RC..
Old 08-05-2011, 04:15 PM

Thanks Ladies!! Will take all of the advice into account! It's getting bad enough now that it's keeping me from sleeping, and I sometimes need help dressing...that's as much a pain as the physical pain!! :lol:
Old 08-05-2011, 04:19 PM

I am finally getting to the end of my experience with frozen shoulder. It was extremely painful and the only thing I found to fix it was time and stretching. (I went to the orthopedic and was given cortizone shots). I also had a 'fun" trip to the ER because of allergic reactions to muscle relaxers and pain pills. I stopped them cold turkey cause they weren't able to tell me which one cause the reactions.

I then took PT for about three months. I stopped because of my MIL's health issues and now about a year later I have regain about 85% of the movement in that arm.

The orthopedic has suggested that he could put me to sleep and move it fully to get the rest of the movement back.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
To be honest, I don't know Bueniebabe...it seems to me to not be the same as a torn cuff...but I'm not sure what causes it...or the treatment, other that I saw a suggestion of a cortizone shot + PT.
I had 2 or 3 cortizone shots before surgery. It gave me relief for awhile. I also had acupuncture. My sister in law is in her early 50's with Parkenson's . She has acupuncture twice a week and milks cows. Both are helping her. Her hands don't shake anymore.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 PM

I have had frozen shoulder twice. Not fun by a long shot. Very painful. Had to go in to the lab and they did ultrasound assisted injections of pain meds. Then I had to go to a physical therapist who worked on it until it "popped" free only to have it freeze again a month later. Again back to the lab for injections and physical therapy. Knock on wood, it has been ok for two years now. The doc thinks it froze after I injured the shoulder while lifting my dad's wheelchair into my car. Good luck to you if you do have frozen shoulder.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:07 PM

My sister experienced that..cortisone shots helped only for a day or so. Accupuncture and water PT for 3 months solved the problem. Best wishes.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:00 PM

Good luck hope u get relief !
Old 08-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Hope you get relief soon, I feel your pain, currently have a problem with both rotator cuffs. Thinking of getting cortisone shot on Tuesday. I need to bowl in 3 weeks after taking the summer off. Physical therapy didn't help me though, but I did go bowling to see how it felt the other day and the day after, it hurt, but then it felt better than it had all summer. I wonder if I should just ignore it.

Good luck, I hope you find out exactly why it was frozen though, it seems that information might come in handy.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Yes I have had that problem and it is very painful. Did the cotisone shots, that hurt and did not help. Did not want the surgery. Stretching exercises the best thing. It takes time but eventually it will work loose.

One exercise the doctor had me do at home was to lay face down on a table, head hanging over the side as well as the arms. Just let the arms dangle doing nothing but letting the weight of the arms gently pull at the shoulder. Very simple but it really worked. Actually feels good too. keep this position at least 15 minutes each time.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 PM

I had that problem and it ain't fun. It started with the right shoulder & about two months later it had developed in the left; which was really rare unless you are diabetic, which I am not. For me it was weekly trips to the office for physical therapy and at home different stretching exercises. It really limits your movements with your arms. If you haven't done anything to injure your shoulder, you may just have a frozen shoulder, or the start thereof. It takes quite awhile to get back to normal, go have it checked out.
Originally Posted by Charlee
Anyone else have this? From what I can find out from "Dr. Google" ;) it looks like I'm experiencing this not-so-lovely condition.
Just kind of curious as to what the doc might tell me when I actually break down and go....