Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Pricing >

Machine Pricing

Machine Pricing

Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 PM

My dealer told me that it would be in the $10,000 range!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:30 PM

I purchased my two newest machines (Janome) from a store out of town and even called my LQS to see if they would match the price before I purchased them (they would not match the price.)
Someone told me that individual stores do not pay the same for the same machine; it depends on the quantity purchased. (The more they purchase the lower the price they pay.) It also depends on how motivated they are to sell; some would rather sell more machines at a lower price while another dealer may charge more because they do not sell that many.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by CruisingStef
I also agree completely.
But I have another question that pertains to machine pricing. I went to my LQS today, and they had a Husqvarna Embroidery Machine for $750. It was previously owned, and takes floppy disks- but has been checked over and runs like new. All I want is something very simple, and easy to work with since I'll be starting out new on a embroidery machine. Can anyone advise me as to if this is a reasonable price for this type of machine? (if anyone can help me, please PM me. Thanks.)
Stephanie
A machine that uses floppy's is very outdated. Computers don't come with Floppy drives any more; you will have to buy an external drive. I'm not saying it is a bad machine. I'm saying you can get a new Brother with a USB port for the same amount or a spot less.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM

My motto...."If it's not priced, you can't afford it!!" :)
Old 09-06-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter
would love to know what the brand new Janome Horizon will be that was unveiled Saturday in Orlando.
I was wondering the same thing. Probably more than my
MC 11000 cost brand new.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 PM

I bought a Viking Sapphire 870 3 years ago. Local dealer proudly advertised his was the lowest price anywhere - $2300, and he was so sure, he would "beat" any other price. When I went to the Viking website I had to give my address to get a Viking dealer and I was only given this one dealer so of course there was no way to compare prices.
I had to use my father's address in San Francisco for the website to give me additional dealers.
Then I began calling around. I found a place in the San Francisco Bay area that would sell the machine to me for $1699. I returned to my local dealer and to his credit, he did meet the price. But he was not at all pleased about it and implied that I had somehow cheated.
I hadn't cheated. This is called competition but the sewing machine manufactures and dealers manage to keep price competition very difficult and it seems that we all become cowed by this and go along with the secrecy by not quoting prices on list serves etc.
I've known a few people to be really "taken" in sewing machine purchases because it is so difficult to find what they usually sell for.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I was put out when the Bernina dealer didn't have pricing on the machines. I had to ask. And still didn't get an up front answer. I got the What features are you looking for? and more questions and a push toward the fancier machine models. I just wanted to know the price of what I was looking at. I finally told the lady if she couldn't tell me the price of that machine (finger pointed to it) then I was walking out. She just looked at me so I walked out. I bought a new Janome that had the price written right on the tag.
The Bernina Store in Albuquerque has the prices on each machine, but I think this might be a case of, " If you have to ask, you can't afford it." The 830 (I think that's the number) is over $13,000!!!!!!!! I bought my first Janome at a place in Milwaukee that didn't have the prices on their machines, either. BUT, the sales person didn't steer me to the priciest model, but rather the lowest in the line! I bought the Memory Craft 3000 for $799. I love that machine & it's still hums right along. I did want a machine with a few more bells & whistles, do 5 years ago, I got the 6600P! I love, love , love my Janomes!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 05:21 AM

Yeah. The higher end berninas (not the bernettes) are one of a few machines still made in Scandinavia, not Asia, out of metal (not plastic) parts. They know this, and have priced for that kind of luxury. My 440 retailed for something like $4500 CDN. (I didn't pay that, because I got a demo machine) but it was crazy expensive.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:36 AM

Here's another question - what is it that these $$$ machines do that make people willing to mortgage the house to buy them?
I have old Singers - METAL, that do fancy stitches, sew forever, sound good, if the motor dies - put on another motor....
I also have a brother and a singer embroidery machines that 'do everything but wash the dishes' and fortunately I got them from 'george' way back when...
I can't fathom spending 2, 3, or more thousands of dollars for a sewing machine = possibly if I were in a sewing business and depending on a machine, but it WOULD have to wash the dishes - and run the sweeper too!
These machines have computer motherboards - just like the computer you are using to be on the internet - the software generates the different stitches - if the motherboard dies, there goes the machine...

Now, think about the last time you upgraded your computer - all new goodies, all new software but the prices are holding or even going down in some cases - so why not with the COMPUTER sewing machines?

It's just like the embroidery software - outrageous prices - their excuse? well we only sell a 'few' copies so we HAVE to charge those prices to pay us back for the work....

Frankly, sewing machines, embroidery machines are areas where you DO NOT get what you pay for...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:07 AM

I have been able to find out some prices by googling for the machine brand name and price.