Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Pricing >

Machine Pricing

Machine Pricing

Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Just got back from the Janome dealer here. I have my baby in the shop for maintenance. He has a Janome 9500 Horizon on display listed $2800 but will "let" me buy it for $1999.00 because it is a demo. Never saw it in his shop before, he said he picked it up at a Janome convention and it was being demonstrated there.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:32 AM

It is like buying a car. No upgrades for me in the future. But there is no other option it seems.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:41 AM

That way of doing it reminds me of the old "sleezy used care salesman" way of doing things. Wouldn't give them my business!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:55 AM

I agree. Already made the mistake once - won't do it again.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by malia2
Fellow quilters, the starting point in buying sewing machines is to know that they have 100% markup for the dealers.
I very strongly doubt that. I expect it to be closer to 40% unless there is a special deal.

When I am in the market, I check patternreview.com to see what others are paying for the same machine. That gives me a range. Often times, I can also find the MSRP for a machine online and then I decide what it is worth to me. Not crazy about haggling but I WILL on sewing machines.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 PM

I totally agree. I used to work for a large Car Dealer and they totally took advantage of the customers. The trade ins were a joke. They would say they gave them 2000.00 but in fact they gave them 75.00.

Why do we have to ask for the price. It should be there in the open.

Quilterfay
Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 PM

It's really bad news that so many people have had bad experiences with their sewing machine dealer. I love my dealer and trust her. I wish they were all this way. Having had a retail business (not sewing machines) I know that the profit margin is not always what the consumer believes it is. Covering the overhead is unbelievable and theft usually makes a significant dent in any profit made in a business. There are also manufacturers/wholesalers that require the retailer to set a certain price. It's a mess. I'm getting a new machine this week and am so excited. I know that I got a good deal and the support is wonderful. Good luck everyone and happy stitching!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
I totally agree. They may be afraid the price will make us back off, but I would prefer to know what I am looking at than get my hopes up and find out that there is no way I can afford it with the salesperson trying to push the sale.
I agree! If we can't afford the price, we will back off but do they want to spend time trying to sell to someone who doesn't have the money? And I certainly don't want to learn all about a machine and it's selection of features if I can't afford it. At least when I read car ads is says starting at $xxxxx and often says exactly what the car pictured costs and what is standard on the car and what is extra.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:53 PM

I just add to shopping cart, get the total price including shipping and then don't buy it! That way I have a price to compare. Ya gotta get sneaky somtimes
Old 09-06-2011, 02:31 PM

OHHHHHHHH - I've told me DH many, many, many times that folks that sell sewing machines are collectively some of the oddest folks I've ever met! They either think what they are selling is GOLD - or - you have almost got to BEG them to even acknowledge you in the store! They decide when you walk in if you can afford to buy or not - now how they decide that is a mystery to me - but that's the feeling I get. Today, at a Viking shop in Iowa, when I inquired what kind of chairs they had available - I was told to go to Office Max. And, not another word was spoken to me. Wanted to look at their machines, but guess they couldn't be bothered. Guess I'll buy a new Janome instead.