Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Machine Pricing >
  • Machine Pricing

• Machine Pricing

Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 AM

I agree with you 100%.
    Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 AM

It is amazing that it still occurs, since there is supposed to be no price fixing (supposedly illegel) by mfrs. However, that is what it is. However, the MSRP is not usually what the dealer sells them for. I'm guessing that is why they won't post prices.
    Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Manufacturers setting a minimum price, restricting Internet sales and prices, and restricting price quotes is not actually "price fixing". As much as we don't like the nebulous, secretive system of machine pricing, it's not illegal or even unusual. Breastpumps, for an example from my professional experience, are marketed and sold in much the same way. But many models of many brands of sewing machine are available online, so it's not as if you can't buy a sewing machine without haggling or playing their game. Some dealers don't like the policies, but enough of them want them or they wouldn't exist. Plenty of dealers find their way around them also, like only selling "floor models". Every floor model is the next machine sold, then a new machine gets put out. Or giving a trade-in allowance for much more than the trade is worth.
    Old 09-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Is there a way we can all do a little local research and post the results here?
    For example, some have said that their dealer has msrp prices and the price they sell it at listed. We could have it listed by machine brand then model. Just save the comments about the dealer and other things for another location so that it would be easy to see of list of models and prices.
    Is this possible?
    Old 09-06-2011, 10:41 AM

That already exists to some extent on patternreview.com
    Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 AM

Frustrating - "borrowing" a quilter's pro from SIL and if I like it have the option to buy - how do I know if her asking price is realistic or not? The style has been retired.
    Old 09-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Fellow quilters, the starting point in buying sewing machines is to know that they have 100% markup for the dealers. That is without any "deals" the company may make on top of that for more sales, purchasing a set amount of machines, etc. So when purchasing always remember if the machine's regular price is, for example, $5000 it probably cost your dealer $2500 or less. If the dealer needs money to pay for inventory he will quote you a much better price.
    Old 09-06-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by grandma sue
    Originally Posted by Kayaker26
    On Facebook yesterday a new Janome was shown with a price tag of between 11 and 12 THOUSAND dollars.....could that possibly be right. I almost had a stroke!
    That's probably the new Janome 12000. Several years ago, Bernina's top of the line was $11,000. I figured for that price it should probably cook the meals and clean the house!
    I can't believe that is an actual price that is a car!
    Old 09-06-2011, 11:12 AM

Higher price...higher commissions for the seller ! ! ! It's all business. Unfortunately, now days, you have to haggle over, almost, everything you buy. It's all so sad that, we, as consumers, can't get a fair deal. I like going from state to state, same grocery stores, have different sale prices in their weekly circulars. My sister lives in a different state than I do, I take my weekly circular with me when I go just to prove to people that they are getting 'taken' for a ride...It happens everywhere, all the time......So sad and unfair.
    Old 09-06-2011, 11:16 AM

Totally agree...if the dealer doesn't know his bottom line...well...I think we're all adults and can make a decision based on the "real" pricing....