Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton Prices... Good News >

Cotton Prices... Good News

Cotton Prices... Good News

Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM

Wanna bet we won't see the change?
Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Good news that the price of cotton is dropping. Sadly, we all know from experience that the price of fabric will not drop. Did the price of sugar ever drop, or the price of coffee? I remember when you could buy 3lbs,(actual 3lbs) of coffee for less than $4.00. I'm sorry to burst our collective bubble, but we live in hope, but hopefully not in vain. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:23 PM

Imho Farmers are losing money their might have to lay off some help causing more unemployment they certainly will not be able to offer there employees any benifits. Everyone is affected from this less disposible money for farmers to spend which screws economy screws up manufacturing less equiptment is able to be purchased so that effects equiptment dealers their employees which continues to trickle on down the line Just the shipping alone comes witha whole new set of problems diesel prices are way out of line so prices must go up first is the sur charge shippers must pay to trucking companies to help cover there cost of fuel then some places charge you to back up to their door called a door fee not everyone charges this but it was averaging 100.00 bucks 6 years ago so now you pay that then get truck loaded some places where you deliver also have a dock fee or door fee than you may be forced to hire a unionized lumber or you won't get your truck unloaded sometimes you can waive that person and try to do it yourself only to find out your stuff just sets on dock so you cant leave because no one had time to inventory your load so you usually give in and pay a lumper this is not cheap depending on what and weight I have had to pay more than 300 to get truck unloaded Now imagine if you have had all these extra charges tacked on to the thread thgat was used the load of chemicals get it the picture goes on and on.Then many of you might not realize that your material has been on several diffrent trucks say it came off ship went on a truck was took to wearhouse in say Chicago to be loaded again maybe to another wearhouse say in Ohio waiting to be shipped to the store that bus the material to sell to you So take all this into consideration before you believe the price of fab will be reduced For example the plant has made the fabric it needs the cardboard bolts to put it on it could be possible that a plant with in 50 miles produces the cardboard but instead It will be shipped from half way accross country so now the fabric you are buying has had another big shipping charge that must be passed on to consumer. I have hauled ceral from Flaagstaff Az to wearhouse in Chicago are to later go to Chicago and pick up same brand of cereal from same wearhouse and take it to Los Angles It is not far from Los Angles to Flagg but fairly far from Chicago to La now tell me why did it need to go to Chicago Hope I didnt bore you but I believe it is time for people to know why prices keep going up up up
Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM

One more thing I did not fix typos because I lost my post twice trying to fix typos
Old 09-14-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jean1941
That is great for us but what about that farmer that grew the cotton and he has a family to feed and take care of also. Do not get me wrong am glad prices are dropping it is just a two edge sword. I am a cotton farmer's daughter from years ago

Happy Shopping
But today the US Gov subsidizes American cotton farmers. I've done some reading on the cotton industry (I'm no expert) and American cotton farmers get substantial subsidies, no matter how prices go. $2 Billion is the figure I saw.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 PM

Good news !!!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 PM
QM
Power Poster

Marvelous, but it will probably take 6 months to begin being passed along, and shipping is still a major cost factor.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
That is great if they pass it on..... Has anybody noticed how the price of gas climbs faster than it drops??? :)
That was my first thought exactly!! Seems to be the same with many things--prices get jacked up when there is a real reason but never go back down when the reason no longer exists!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 PM

I hope the price at the cutting table falls more than gas prices..once the price goes up it rarely comes down no matter what.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:31 PM

not sure how this could be i live in sw okla and 90 % of our cotton crop is laying in the field just about dead weve had no rain and no longer have the water to irrigate i think its pretty much a total loss and from what i hear texas is about the same ?? im not sure what percentage our 2 states provide but it cant be a good thing.
carla