Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a new (to me) Sewing Machine! >

I have a new (to me) Sewing Machine!

I have a new (to me) Sewing Machine!

Old 12-24-2011, 06:26 AM

How perfectly wonderful for you! What a deal. I would recommend that you take it to a trusted dealer to be serviced. They clean & lubricate. You, as owner, are not supposed to oil/lubricate and you can only clean superficially.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:53 AM

Congratulations! I know you are thrilled to be able to sew once again!!! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:24 AM
C.

Congrats!!!!! You will love this machine and WOW what a price, totally unheard of.... These machines need NO oiling as the bearings are sealed. The only thing that is needed every once in a while is just ONE drop of oil in the bobbin hook race area. You will see this little pot in the center when you take the whole bobbin assembly out, it has a little wick, do not remove, just place your drop of oil there and it keeps that area moving smoothly. As for cleaning, totally a matter of choice, my two different dealers told me as long as I clean the bobbin from lint (like every other time I put in a new bobbin, that every 3 years would be good for taking it in. I have 4 Janomes: the 6600 (my baby), the 9700, the 3160 for classes and my old class one a Jem Silver. I have NEVER had a problem with any machine in over the 20 years that I have bought different Janomes, others I have sold to update. My one thing that I would suggest is to read your manual and get familiar with your machine.... You too, will love it........
Old 12-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Hello Nevada! WOW...I think you are going to love your Janome MC9700....I purchased one in 2006 for $2100, and was told this was a pretty good price....I had never embroidered, but my sewing group, also in Nevada by the way, was just getting interested in it and most of them bought embroidery only Janomes and they absolutely love them as well! I have sewed/quilted/embroidered the heck out of this machine....it owes me nothing, and it keeps on chuggin'.....right now I am in New Hampshire....originally from Massachusetts, and lived in Henderson NV for eight years....we still have the home there and will return in January....I couldn't resist writing since you not only have a machine like me, but are in Nevada as well....good luck with your machine and maybe someday we can meet.....I have, however, decided to leave my baby in New Hampshire this winter.....she traveled back and forth with me for a couple of years, and I'm worried that it may harm her even though I have the original packing....anyway, nice to hear your great news!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
Wow you did really good. There's never anything on our Craigslist! And if there is, it's overpriced.
I'm finding that to also be true sewing machine wise anyways. Other items can be a steal if that's what you're looking for, but not the sewing machines.

Congratulations for your score! Enjoy your machine.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:01 AM
RDM

What a wonderful gift and you so deserve it having had to wait for it. Merry Christmas and a happy new year of quilting on your new machine.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:40 AM

Congratulations, have fun!!
Old 12-26-2011, 05:57 AM

That is so exciting. We never have anything on Craig's list either. You are very lucky.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:00 AM

Some Janomes require oiling of the wick....and if that is the case with this machine, that wick is pretty dry by now. Check the owner's manual under maintenance. But then, I am an oiler...my Brother requires one drop of oil in the bobbin before each use, my Horizon gets a drop once a week and the A-1 longarm drinks it like crazy...so I am so oil conscious. I am suspicious of machines that "never need oiling"...this is beyond my comprehension, especially since I live in the desert where it is so dry. You will love embroidering on your machine. This will open up a whole new world for you...and there are so many free embroidery designs on the internet. You will need software if it did not come with the machine. I use my embroidery machine mostly to make quilt labels...but I also embrioder quilt blocks, sweat shirts, towels, the list is endless. Congratuations on a great find...can't go wrong with Janome/New Home in my opinion, and I have had them ALL.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 PM

Congratulations on your lucky find!!! I have a Janome horizon 7700. Janome's are good machines. I would find a dealer that can service your new baby, because after 3 years it could need the dust cleaned off. These machines are not like the old ones, you can't get to the areas that need to be oiled. Have fun!