Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 01-12-2014, 11:14 AM

I still love that border on Jenniky's, it is going to be really pretty.

The white candlewicking block would be nice with a small light purple and then a couple more at varying degrees of darkness? Sort of like you are looking out into the distance from the center?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 AM

Everybody is doing a great job here, thanks for the pictures! I got my round done today, thanks for the design Jaba. [ATTACH=CONFIG]456189[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1st-round-qb-rr-2014001_edited-small-.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 PM

I'm still following this thread. That's going to look great Thimblebug!
I know what I want to do but I don't think I can keep up with the schedule given there's other quilts that have to come first. Maybe I'll just follow the thread and build along at my own pace as time permits.
Rodney
Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 PM

thimblebug how pretty! Love those colors. Rodney, do what you can, this is no race.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Thimblebug, great center! It looks terrific with the border. I would show you my work today, but, duh... I put 2 sides on backwards!! Seam ripper to the rescue!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:23 PM

Thimblebug it looks amazing...Just love that centre and your choice of colours.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:32 PM

Thimblebug, that is awesome. I really like the asymmetrical center block. Very cool.

This isn't my center, but I wanted to share what I had learned here since I hadn't used the suggested borders for the first one. At Guild meeting last month, we were given 8 1/2' fabric pictures of Elvis. It was very wonky. I have pulled, stretched, taped, starched and pulled and starched some more. Finally got a somewhat straight edge and cut most of the black off and added my own black border since it needed to be 9 1/2" to grow it to the required 15" finished block. SO, then I auditioned fabrics, already knowing I wanted to do the 9-patch. It must be older fabric because the newer colors didn't work and I went digging. Found a couple and auditioned them. Didn't have enough for all four corners and probably a good thing. Thought it needed "opening up" as someone had said about my other center so went digging again for possibilities. Came up with a black that has ivy and red berries and a touch of gold. I thought it turned out pretty good for the challenge I had when I started. The inner black border might be a scootch wider in some places than in other places, but simply couldn't get it squared up any other way. So this is the finished 15 1/2 unfinished block that I am taking to Guild. Just wanted to share how I have already applied what I have seen and am learning on this border thing. Used the method that created two 9-patches at one time. I really like this method and seem to have better success at having the corners comply than I do when I use strip sets. So ta dah! Here is the finished Elvis:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456239[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_3780-small-.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Quilter65...that is very cool...you're hard work paid off!
Thimblebug...love the colors you've used...going to be a pretty quilt!
I hope to get back to working on mine in the next couple days...

Last edited by VickiM; 01-12-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:59 PM

Perfect colors thimble-, looks amazing!! m-fay don't know how much help I was to you but glad you succeeded, good feeling isn't it?? So happy all of you are enjoying this, every pattern or block I see now, I think of how it would be for a border, it's addicting for sure.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM

Thimblebug, that is awesome. I really like the asymmetrical center block. Very cool.

This isn't my center, but I wanted to share what I had learned here since I hadn't used the suggested borders for the first one. At Guild meeting last month, we were given 8 1/2' fabric pictures of Elvis. It was very wonky. I have pulled, stretched, taped, starched and pulled and starched some more. Finally got a somewhat straight edge and cut most of the black off and added my own black border since it needed to be 9 1/2" to grow it to the required 15" finished block. SO, then I auditioned fabrics, already knowing I wanted to do the 9-patch. It must be older fabric because the newer colors didn't work and I went digging. Found a couple and auditioned them. Didn't have enough for all four corners and probably a good thing. Thought it needed "opening up" as someone had said about my other center so went digging again for possibilities. Came up with a black that has ivy and red berries and a touch of gold. I thought it turned out pretty good for the challenge I had when I started. The inner black border might be a scootch wider in some places than in other places, but simply couldn't get it squared up any other way. So this is the finished 15 1/2 unfinished block that I am taking to Guild. Just wanted to share how I have already applied what I have seen and am learning on this border thing. Used the method that created two 9-patches at one time. I really like this method and seem to have better success at having the corners comply than I do when I use strip sets. So ta dah! Here is the finished Elvis:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456239[/ATTACH]