Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:48 AM

such pretty quilts in the making! I love how everyone has chosen the 'right' round for their quilts. I am so thrilled to see so many people have joined and are working along with each other. This is what makes it so fun.. you can audition your blocks, your rounds. One look at someone elses border might inspire you to think hey that would look great on my center too. Easier to visualize I think if there is something concrete to inspire you
Old 01-13-2014, 03:44 PM

quilter65 your Elvis is fantastic and so is Sheri R's candlewicking.I just love that border & will definitely use it. I've mastered 1, but have to pack the machine away for a couple of weeks now.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
such pretty quilts in the making! I love how everyone has chosen the 'right' round for their quilts. I am so thrilled to see so many people have joined and are working along with each other. This is what makes it so fun.. you can audition your blocks, your rounds. One look at someone elses border might inspire you to think hey that would look great on my center too. Easier to visualize I think if there is something concrete to inspire you
You hit it right on the head...I knew what fabric I wanted to use, but really didn't want to cut it up for the center. So I added a border to make it 24 1/2" sq. I just loved jenniky's ribbon she was putting on hers. I thought it was perfect for framing my center. As I had never made that border pattern before & there was no finished measurements on the printout, I had to make the whole border first, then found out that the center needed to be 24 1/2". That's how I decided on the size of my center...a little backwards, but it worked. I love that border & now that I've made it & found it was easier than it looked (just have to make sure the pieces are in all the right positions); I will use it for other quilts! Thanks Jen for the heads up on it! And my quilt is already 36" sq. as it is a 6 1/2" border! It is going to be a quilt for a future great-grandbaby so I will only do another border or 2 on it. I keep looking at it and am almost of a mind to just add another white/white border on it and then a border of the co-ordinating fabric. The back will be pieced with the leftovers & it will be bound with whichever I have enough to bind it with--yellow or green. The actual finishing will be in the future...just want to get the front & backing done right at the time. Anyway, here's the pics.
Attached Thumbnails close-up-fabric.jpg   medqb-medallion-qa-january-2014.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 05:11 PM

Vicki, What a georgous fabric. I wouldn't want to cut it up either. The intertwined border is perfect with the fabric. I think I'm going to do that border too, further down the road.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:15 PM

Vicki, that is very complimentary to the center. Are the yellows different colors or is there some show through from the object on which it is placed. Makes it look shadowy and gives it dimension. Whatever it is, very pretty.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 PM

Vickie! That is darling fabric. A great center!

Here is the next fabric I need to use. It has all the right colors but the pattern is sorta big. I thought I may have to fussy cut to get the parts I want. Any ideas. It is what I was thinking I could somehow do the ribbon border with. I apologize for being so needy as I know it's suppose to be our own project....
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 AM

Yes I can see that serving to give you both a pink and a periwinkle (how the color shows on my phone). Almost like getting two fabrics in one! If you do your cuts right there shouldn't be much waste. But you will most likely have to do it with a single layer of fabric.
Going to be very pretty!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by VickiM View Post
You hit it right on the head...I knew what fabric I wanted to use, but really didn't want to cut it up for the center. So I added a border to make it 24 1/2" sq. I just loved jenniky's ribbon she was putting on hers. I thought it was perfect for framing my center. As I had never made that border pattern before & there was no finished measurements on the printout, I had to make the whole border first, then found out that the center needed to be 24 1/2". That's how I decided on the size of my center...a little backwards, but it worked. I love that border & now that I've made it & found it was easier than it looked (just have to make sure the pieces are in all the right positions); I will use it for other quilts! Thanks Jen for the heads up on it! And my quilt is already 36" sq. as it is a 6 1/2" border! It is going to be a quilt for a future great-grandbaby so I will only do another border or 2 on it. I keep looking at it and am almost of a mind to just add another white/white border on it and then a border of the co-ordinating fabric. The back will be pieced with the leftovers & it will be bound with whichever I have enough to bind it with--yellow or green. The actual finishing will be in the future...just want to get the front & backing done right at the time. Anyway, here's the pics.
Just love what you've done with it and the ribbon border is just perfect for it...clever little chook you are!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:43 AM

VickiM-that really looks great. The ribbon border works so well.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:07 AM

Would go with a nine patch as its a smaller quilt and that would work really nice size wise around it.. maybe just a frame first however of a fabric with say mitered corners so it is truly "framed" before you do a round on it? soft colors not to overwhelm the center would be lovely

I love the border you did Jenniky its such a pretty border and one I want to try too. However I would be too lazy lol to do that for say an outter border round four plus.. omg all those pieces! its coming out wonderful and might toss one of those in a quilt of mine in the near future. Stuck waiting for fabric for my other round robin. Ran out half way through so best pick up a bit or I will be staring at those floating blocks for a long time (NOT a game plan I enjoy).

Tomorrow my son and his girlfriend arrive from CA! I am so excited this should be a very nice quick visit but I will take it!