Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with FMQing and my wonderful brother 1500 >

Help with FMQing and my wonderful brother 1500

Help with FMQing and my wonderful brother 1500

Old 01-09-2014, 07:11 PM

Cool Help with FMQing and my wonderful brother 1500

I purchased a used Brother nouvelle 1500s. I started FMQING right away and rarely had problems with thread breaking a i did have a few needle breaks but nothing major. Then last week I decided to do some piecing and changed my settings to piece. This is where the "Help" comes in. I have tried to put everything back to the way it was for my FMQING but all I get is tons if broken needles. Shredded thread more broken needle and huge bird nests on the back of my quilts. I've tried everything. I need your help desperately. I know someone will be able to help. Everyone here is so helpful.. And go figure I have three quilts that need to be finished please private message me need be Thanks so much
Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Did you change your thread at all? My machine (low end singer) is fussy about the thread I use.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:09 PM

Broken needles are a huge red flag. Are you using too small of a needle? I usually use a 16 topstitch. Are you moving the machine or quilt too fast? If you're moving quickly and the needle is small, it's possible the needle is bending in the fabric and hitting the needle plate.

Thread nests on the back or bottom of the quilt usually means issues with the top thread. Take it completely off the machine and re-thread, making sure it's threaded correctly and nothing is impeding the thread path.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:33 AM

This machine likes Stretch needles, usually a 14. Re thread your machine and your bobbins if you aren't using prewound bobbins. That thread mess is bad tension usually, if there aren't any pieces in the path, and you generally can fix it. Needle breaking sounds like you have the needles in wrong, remember they go in sideways on this machine, not face forward. Get out your manual. Remember Lefty-loosy, Righty-tighty and you can play with the bobbin tension, no problem.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:59 AM

Oh Believe me I've Changed Thread I've Changed Needles I use the Recommended HLX5 size 14 I reduced the Pressure on the foot, I've adjusted the the Tension. And yes I know that the needle goes in with the flat side to the right. It's a straight stitch Machine and the needle is Always that way. I think it may be time to take it to the Dr!! (
Thank You all so Much for your words of Wisdom. I will keep checking back Maybe the Good Lord will bless me today and I can get back to meandering and my feathers. Funny you say to slow down, When I first started fmq the videos and books said to find that perfect Hum and I thought Well that's silly Well the more you practice the more your mind and hands get into that rhythm. I try very hard to really slow down when I'm doing corners etc... I guess I'm Not the fastest but I get it done. I Love my Brother I just hope She gets over her Virus so we can get back to Business. Thank You all. I will Check Back You're All The Best.........)
Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 AM

Also make sure that the feed dogs are COMPLETELY down. the lever needs to go as far to the left as possible. I have this machine and have found that it is possible to do FMQ with the feed dogs lowered but not completely down. I ever touch the tension on either the foot, top thread or the bobbin since the tension /stitch length is controled by you. Also check to see if the needle or thread is rubbing against the hole in the FMQ foot. This foot seems a little loose on the shank so it is possible for it to shift slightly. Also I made the hole in this foot bigger so it would not rub agasinst the needle/thread. also make sure when you thread the top thread that the pressure foot is UP. With pressure foot up the top thread tension disk is open allowing the top thread to seat i it correctly. Good luck!!!!!!

Also make sure you have the correct bobbin size for this machine. Generic bobbins may look like they fit but can be sloppy in the bobbin holder. Best place to buy these bobbins is from Ken' s Sewing center on line.

Last edited by bigsister63; 01-10-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 PM

It's possible that the timing is off. It seems like you've tried all possible fixes and I agree, you might want to take it in for service.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Are you sure your presser bar is down.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 PM

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is maybe a small bit of lint is holding the bobbin out just enough to cause trouble. There could also be a bit of lint in the tension disks causing the disks not to set properly. The lint in the tension disks can be cleaned out easily by running a piece of dental floss through them a few times. It doesn't take much lint to mess up the whole works.