Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Kitchen remodel-need tips on how to function without my kitchen >

Kitchen remodel-need tips on how to function without my kitchen

Kitchen remodel-need tips on how to function without my kitchen

Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
You might find a bread maker machine handy, too.

My bread machine died and I haven't replaced it yet - maybe now is the time. DH says we can buy bread from the store - ugh - not my idea of a good time ... lol.

Debbie
Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 AM

How about a propane camp stove or a butane one. I have both due to long,long power outages. I can make past and sauce, eggs, stews, virtually anything you could do on stovetop. They don't cost a lot and you can always use for picnics,camping and power outages.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:00 AM

Last January, I lost my kitchen to a 'long' leak in the concrete block wall behind my sink. Three months later, it was done. Had gone to the block wall being torn out. Believe me, you have NO IDEA how much is in your kitchen cabinets. It's ALL OVER YOUR HOUSE, unless you want to go to the expense of storage. And the remainder of your house will be full of sawdust, everything is filthy unless you want to cover everything. But being dust, it is still every where. And in our case, concrete blocks had to be sawed to get to the pipe. I'm still finding that!

If something every happens to us again, we're moving OUT until it is done, because you are sleeping in what's floating around in your house, daily. I had to do dishes in two pans and a lavatory sink for any pans I used. Have to tell you it was the worst three months of our 50+ marriage. Even had to clean the computer screens daily. Most of the rest of the house was covered all the time just to keep the flying debris away. It's miserable and don't let anyone tell you different. You can't use camp stoves or grills in the house and it's no fun cooking outside in cold weather.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 AM

As long as you have a refrigerator and microwave you're pretty well set. Just forget baking for the duration! And you can always use that crockpot and electric skillet too.
The bathroom sink although small can be used for washing dishes.

Mainly try to keep things as simple as possible.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:08 AM

Try using your crockpots, skillets etc. to cook with when there is no COUNTER TOPS in your kitchen. Even the coffee maker was in the bathroom because the kitchen table was in the living room. You are talking bare kitchen, as in NO kitchen. You can use the stove, when it's plugged in but nothing to sit anything else on, as mixing bowls, etc. Also crocks from pots and electric skillets do no wash well in a itty bitty lavatory sink. Maybe if one lives in a mansion, you could get through it with no problems, but not in a 1500 sq ft house, no basement either!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM

*** A few years ago when my electric stove died,
*** and I could not afford one at that time, I made do
*** for 10 months with:
*** 1 Microwave,
*** 2 Crock pots,
*** 1 Fry Daddy, and
*** 1 Electric Fry Pan.

*** It is amazing what you can do with out if you have to.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:58 AM

DH and I did just exactly this same thing last summer--all summer long--but now it is just a fading memory. Ours is a continuing journey of remodeling an old (as in 1900 or so) house, trying to maintain character while installing (necessary) up to date facilities. My kitchen was last summer's job. Lots of eating out since it is only the two of us anymore--taking advantage of three kids' generosity in cooking different meals--and occasionally using the grill and making use of freezers, microwave, fridge in DH's shop. And to top that off, I got used to "not cooking" and that has stuck with me--I cook only when I want to now.......but my new kitchen is absolutely wonderful. I love it.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Joset View Post
use a gas grill and a slow cooker. there are lots of receipe out there.
it can be done and fun. maybe pretend you are camping.
Add an inexpensive electric skillet, and you have a kitchen! You can fry, braise, sauté, and even bake in them.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:32 PM

All you ladies are doing great ! This is what we do during Hurricane season but using a generator.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:30 AM

Good luck, been there done that - used a slow cooker, grill, microwave and the local grill! Bending over the bath tub doing dishes wasn't any fun at all! But it was well worth the trouble. Good luck, try to look at it as an adventure!

Think sandwiches!!!!