Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help please with vibrating shuttle >

Help please with vibrating shuttle

Help please with vibrating shuttle

Old 02-19-2014, 05:23 PM

Question Help please with vibrating shuttle

I'm in the final stage of getting my DGM's Free No 5 treadle running. I printed the manual off of the Ismacs site, when I got this machine, but the pictures on how to thread the shuttle are very blurry. Does anyone have photos showing how to thread it that a newbie to these machines can understand. I've been told this is very likely the same as a Singer 15 shuttle. It's the shuttle with the "waistline".

I really need a visual. I looked at u-tube without any luck finding one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also having trouble locating the shuttle race oil pad that the manual says must be kept saturated with oil. Where is this located?

Last question.... should I continue to use tri-flow or switch to using sewing machine oil or something else for maintenance type oiling?

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping I can get this stitching this weekend.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 PM

I don't think the 15 ever came with a long bobbin. (I could be wrong there though)

My VS2 manual doesn't have a picture of how to wind the bobbin, just some really quaint verbiage. I did find this though: http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...vsshuttle.html
Old 02-19-2014, 07:00 PM

Yes, it takes the same shuttle (Boye #15) as Singer VS machines (models 27,28 and 127,128). Not to be confused with Class 15 rotary bobbins, which fit a Singer 15 (and many others) rotary machine.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:04 PM

Ah there we go. I thought I was missing something.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:19 AM
Power Poster

If you are looking for info on the long bobbin you need to look at Muv's blog and videos - you should be able to find a wealth of info if you search:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html
Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
If you are looking for info on the long bobbin you need to look at Muv's blog and videos - you should be able to find a wealth of info if you search:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html
That's where I learned how to wind and use the shuttle on my Singer 27. I was clueless before watching Muv's video. Now I have 2 27s and use them frequently. That shuttle doesn't scare me anymore. Thanks, Muv.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 AM
KLO

Miriam, Thanks for that link. I need to go watch them several times before I start anything. I am more a visual person so these should help.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
Miriam, Thanks for that link. I need to go watch them several times before I start anything. I am more a visual person so these should help.
I love her videos, too - I doubt if I would have fallen in love with the long bobbin machines unless I had seen those videos. Muv has done a lot of great work on her videos and her website. THANK YOU MUV!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
The other thing I am thinking is just get in there and try it and see how it goes. Those old machines are pretty forgiving.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:21 PM

Thank you everyone :-) One of the repairmen at Quality Sewing here in Rochester, MN took a look at my shuttle. He had to pull up the thread where it belonged with the tip of a small screwdriver. There seems to be a problem with it but he said it was in good condition and should be fine. Now, I need to remember how he did it! He also adjusted the bobbin tension screw a bit and told me how it should be set. Got it home and eureka, it sews. So fun!

One of the chat-room regulars is sending me another shuttle to try.

I'm planning a reunion for my 94 yr old mother and the machine she learned to sew on. it will be a special moment for her. Thank you for making it possible.