Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Living room as studio >

Living room as studio

Living room as studio

Old 03-18-2014, 08:13 AM

Default Living room as studio

DH and I have decided to arrange our house the way we use our house. That means moving the sewing and quilting machines from the lower level to the living room where all the space and light are. We were only using the living room furniture 4-5 times a year, so we moved our 'gathering space' to the lower level and we'll make it cozy for gathering. We'll see how this goes for a while. Has this worked for anyone else?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:17 AM

I think that is a great idea! I suggested that to my DH once, and he said he didn't want my "stuff" to be the first thing that people see when they come in the house. My feeling? Do what you can to make the room useful for you and then you'll actually use the room! Enjoy your new space. I'd love to see pictures.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Whatever works for you will be best. I was happy to have space finally in the 3rd bedroom. but now since I'm all settled in that room people have a need to come see us after 19 years. Oh well!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 AM

I have my cutting board and sewing machine behind the couch in the living room. The fabric...is..ahem...in many places in the house..out of immediate view. I can keep track of the DH and still sew while he watches the boob tube.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 AM

For years my sewing studio was in what's supposed to be the dining room, and the gaming room had taken over what's supposed to be a family room. Worked for us. Recently, with the oldest dd moving out, we moved some rooms around. Still need to tweak a few things, but we'll see how it works.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I live by myself and my quilting studio is in the living room of my very small 2 bedroom apt.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 AM

I've outgrown my sewing room and the overflow has made its way to the dining and living rooms. I remember when I was young and thought my Mom was too picky about having everything in its place she told me when I had a home of my own I could do it the way I wanted. So that's what I'm doing.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:42 AM

That is where mine is!!I have a U shaped area made by a couple of sewing cabinets, computer desk, cutting table and ironing board. My swivel/rolling office chair sits in the middle of it. I can see the TV from my sewing area and therefore get to spend "quality" time with DH and not feel excluded from family life!! I absolutely love it!! I'm sure you will to.

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
I have my cutting board and sewing machine behind the couch in the living room. The fabric...is..ahem...in many places in the house..out of immediate view. I can keep track of the DH and still sew while he watches the boob tube.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:07 PM

I have a separate room for my longarm and fabric collection, but all my piecing is done in the living/dining/kitchen area which is all open with an island in the middle. My cutting mat is on the island, my ironing board is along one wall and my sewing machine sits behind the love seat flanked by drawer units. And just a couple months ago, I turned the wall behind the sewing machine into a design wall! I love the design wall there because the "decorations" are constantly changing and, if I want to hide a miss-mash of quilt blocks (from working on multiple quilts), I can just hang a quilt or top right over what's there. I figure visitors just come and go, but I Live there!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-17-2019 at 08:45 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-18-2014, 12:58 PM

My guess is that might depend a lot on what type of quilter/sewer you are. If you are like me ... an very untidy quilter, then it might eventually bother you to have that "view" . I like my basement sewing room.. I can walk away and no one knows its there.