Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you wash your material before using? Even Jelly rolls & Charm packs? >

Do you wash your material before using? Even Jelly rolls & Charm packs?

Do you wash your material before using? Even Jelly rolls & Charm packs?

Old 03-19-2014, 04:52 AM

I dont prewash anything I buy from a quilt store including precuts. i have never had a problem. I do however wash fabric I get elsewhere (church, estate sales, etc) that I dont know how old it is or where it came from. It truly is a personal preference.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I prewash everything. I use the mesh bags for precuts.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I prewash all my yardage, but I don't buy precuts. Well, I did buy one jelly roll for a jelly roll race quilt (which I haven't made yet) and I don't expect to wash it, but that's the exception. Almost every week someone on the board complains about having problems that could have been avoided by prewashing. Other people say that they've never prewashed and never had any problems - yet. I prefer to avoid the bleeding and shrinkage, and I prefer working with clean fabric without the chemicals that are left by the manufacturing process. To each his own.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:47 AM

I only prewash if I have a faric so saturated with colors that it looks as though it may be a bleeder. If I have precuts that need washing, I do those by hand and roll in a towel to soak up the water and them press to dry. I will wash fabrics when I go to a retreat in case others are bothered by treatments.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
Nope.. Im not a pre-washer... I dont have allergies, im not affected by my fabrics and i dont have furry pets under foot... I prefer the 'crinkle' look when the quilt shrinks when it gets washed the first time.. I do use LOTS of color catcher in the wash... So far so good,
Ditto for me!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:09 AM

I never pre-wash my fabric. Been quilting since the mid 70's and never had a problem.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:09 AM

I do not prewash fab before using..exception being..if I decide to make tablerunners I will choose the fabs I want, just swish in tub of water, dry, iron and put together, I do not use batting for these but rather a thin fleece/ poly batt, that will not shrink when washed...so that when completed tablerunner is ever washed it will not get crinkly look.....just my way.....pst! I don't wash bed quilts after finishing..don't use starch at construction, and they are not dirty upon completion so on a bed or in chest they go.....if gifting I will instruct receiver how to care for it and that is it....my own get washed when they get soiled from use, but aired out frequently......
Old 03-19-2014, 06:13 AM

I don't wash it if it's coming from the store. I do wash if I get it elsewhere, like an estate sale, GW or a private sale. If I wash it I have to starch and iron and I don't like that part at all. I do starch my tops and backing when getting ready to put them together. Washing the whole quilt works for me.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:18 AM

Nope! I like the crispness of new fabric and the crinkled look after the project is finished and laundered. I have four quilt inspectors--two cats, Mehitabel and Maude and two Yorkies, Booger and WookieDoodle--so if I prewashed and then laundered after the project is done, what I make would be pretty well used! Booger and Wookie dragged some strips I had cut out into the grass and I washed them and wound up with a frazzled mess that I eventually threw away. Washing precuts does not seem like a good idea to me. froggyintexas
Old 03-19-2014, 06:21 AM

I'm not a pre-washer, unless it's batik or flannel yardage. I definitely WOULDN'T pre-wash pre-cuts, and to be honest, I don't buy pre-cuts but have received them as gifts.