Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you wash your material before using? Even Jelly rolls & Charm packs? >

Do you wash your material before using? Even Jelly rolls & Charm packs?

Do you wash your material before using? Even Jelly rolls & Charm packs?

Old 03-19-2014, 06:26 AM

I have nrver prewashed fabrics (including flannel) and have never had a problem. When I took my first quilting class in the 80's the instructor said there was no need to prewash so I took her advice. I wash them after they are made.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 AM

I have had a couple of fabrics that were HORRIBLE bleeders, even after pre-washing. And these were supposedly quilt shop quality fabrics (both RJR). So yes, always wash. Wash finished quilts in soap, not *detergent at least for the first few washings and use color catchers.

*Footnote: The main ingredient in detergent is soda ash, which helps dye to adhere to fabric. Soda ash will help any bleeding stay in your fabric.

A fix to dye bleeding is to "soak" the bleeding spots in Synthrapol or even dish soap and then wash in either of those two.

And definitely don't mix washed and unwashed fabrics in a quilt. Uneven shrinkage caused by doing this can lead to unpredictable results.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 AM

I usually wash my fabrics because I am allergic to something they put on it but sometimes I don't wash my fabric but testing that it does not bleed is a must. It is nice that the newer fabrics rarely bleed but years ago it was a huge issue with fabric and I got into the habit of washing it.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:59 AM

I don't use pre-cuts much. But if I do, and they are darker colors, I will just soak them in warm water in the sink for 1/2 hour or so and see if any dye bleeds out. If not, I gently hang them to dry, iron and go on. If they bleed, I will refresh the water a couple of times until it stops. I don't put pre-cuts in the washer for fear to too much fraying. Just soaking them avoids that.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:05 AM

One more thought to go... pre-cuts are supposed to be an easy way to make quilts. I think pre-washing them negates that whole idea. Honestly, in that respect, they end up being expensive in more ways than one.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 AM

I really only wash stuff for Baby quilts now. I won't prewash a kit, I've done that once and didn't end up with enough fabric after the shrinkage. I don't even prewash my batting anymore.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:09 AM

Reading all 4 pages of Comments, you will have a full range of experiences, decisions, and opinions. Consider one more point: the straight grain of your fabric. Is it important? Those 5 inch charms, and WofFabric strips that we buy or are given? Sometimes they are cut 'akilter' and when I examine the grain, they are WAAAAAY off. I prefer to sew straight along the grain. And some cuts of yardage? After it has been washed and dried, on the ironing board the cut side looks like a Chevron, a giant V because the fabric was cut askew. I iron the fabric specifically to Straighten the Grain. This is important to me. I avoid most collections of pre-cut Charms and small cuts of unwashed fabrics, for example, from Swaps. When I walked into my sewing room, where my stash of fabric is, and breathe in an oppressive, chemical odor that leaves my lungs gasping? I KNOW that is not a healthy state. It is the off-gassing of unwashed yardage. Sometimes I open a box of fabric, and that chemical odor is strong. I wash that fabric, and tell myself that I know better, shame on me.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Yes. I have washed scraps and charm squares and strips

I expect to get some shrinkage and the pieces to revert to how the want to be.

The only "precuts" I buy now are at garage and yard sales.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yonnikka View Post
Reading all 4 pages of Comments, you will have a full range of experiences, decisions, and opinions. Consider one more point: the straight grain of your fabric. Is it important? Those 5 inch charms, and WofFabric strips that we buy or are given? Sometimes they are cut 'akilter' and when I examine the grain, they are WAAAAAY off. I prefer to sew straight along the grain. And some cuts of yardage? After it has been washed and dried, on the ironing board the cut side looks like a Chevron, a giant V because the fabric was cut askew. I iron the fabric specifically to Straighten the Grain. This is important to me. I avoid most collections of pre-cut Charms and small cuts of unwashed fabrics, for example, from Swaps. When I walked into my sewing room, where my stash of fabric is, and breathe in an oppressive, chemical odor that leaves my lungs gasping? I KNOW that is not a healthy state. It is the off-gassing of unwashed yardage. Sometimes I open a box of fabric, and that chemical odor is strong. I wash that fabric, and tell myself that I know better, shame on me.
Grrain matters to me,too.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

I don't pre-wash unless it is flannel (and that depends on the project). If I think a fabric might bleed, I test it by placing a piece in a glass of water and leaving it for a day. If I see wisps of dye in the water I will prewash. If no wisps, then I take the damp fabric and rub it against a light-colored fabric to see if the dye transfers that way.

Shrinkage (except sometimes for flannel) is really not an issue if the sandwich will be moderately quilted. Once quilted, batting will control shrinkage. In other words, a fabric will not be able to shrink more than the battng allows. Shrinkage *is* an issue for plain fabric (for example, a dress) and for tied quilts (especially if ties are far apart). In these cases, there is nothing to prevent the fabric from shrinking to its max.

Bleeding is more of an issue. I handle this by taking the precaution of doing the first wash of any quilt in a washing machine that uses ***lots*** of water (to dilute any dye bleeds), and by using Synthrapol in that first wash (suspends unset dye particles so they stay in the rinse water rather than settling into fabrics). The only type of bleed this will not be adequate for is a bleeding fabric -- that is, one where the manufacturer did not set dyes properly, so that the dyes will continue to bleed with every wash.

Have to run..... Maybe more later.