Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
I am new and in need of a swift kick to get me going >

I am new and in need of a swift kick to get me going

I am new and in need of a swift kick to get me going

Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Default I am new and in need of a swift kick to get me going

I know this is a strange intro, but the quilting bug has bitten me in a expensive way. There is just one problem. I have purchased a modest Brother 400 SE (it's actually my 3rd sewing machine), many updated quilting tools and rulers, quite a few patterns, materials for probably 10 quilts, LOTS of thread, and all kinds of magazines for ideas and impetus have also been purchased. I have hemmed a swimsuit for myself, repaired a waistband on a pair of jeans, small jobs on kids clothes, etc. so I do know how to sew.
The problem: I seem to be unable to take the next step - cutting the material. I have proceeded to the point with some cuddle fleece of washing and drying the material front pieces, backing, as well as cotton batting.
I have an inordinate fear of cutting material! I have had this fear since the mid 60s, but thought surely I would have outgrown it by now! I think it stems from knowing how much the material costs, and knowing exactly how expensive it would be to replace it. Had the info drilled into me from the three Home Ec. classes in Jr. and Sr High.

Last edited by mom2pekes2; 04-01-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:52 PM

I can empathize with you. Especially the Home Ec teacher drilling the idea of that first cut and make sure not to make a mistake. In 1974 my mother was going to buy some Pendleton wool for me to make an outfit - told her no, I would never make the first cut. It was $10.00 a yard and oh so beautiful. Now with my quilting fabric I feel the "store has more" and get on with it.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Find a pattern you really want to try maybe from one of Jenny Doan's Missouri Star Quilt Co youtube videos. Start small with a table runner or bed runner. Yes, fabric can be expensive but keep your eye out for sales.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:37 PM

TY Tartan. I appreciate all ideas! My new sewing table and ergo chair are also going to waste. Hubby is now "daring" me to make a quilt since nothing else has budged me in the past 20-24 months.
I recently ordered a complete pre-cut kit from ebay in a dark blue and yellow wall hanging. Since I have never made a quilt I have no idea how long it will take me, but at least I know it will not need to be cut first! Am hoping this will get me past the initial fear of ruining the material.
Anyone else with more suggestions? I am all for them!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 PM

Dear Quiltingcandy:Thank you so much for your kind words and honesty. At least now I know there are others who have had the same feeling. I tried to explain it to Hubby, but he just looks at me like: what are you talking about? You are the first person who has experienced this as far as I know. I do appreciate you sharing. So much more? Hmm. Gotta work on that!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:26 PM

I agree with Tartan. Watch some of Jenny Doan's " How to" Quilt videos from the Missouri Star Quilt Co on Youtube. That gets me motivated. I understand though, it's like if you cut it it won't be pretty anymore. lol I think that's why I have sooooo much stash! Good luck!

Oops, I forgot to welcome you to the Quilt Board! Welcome from North Carolina!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:06 PM

Welcome from michigan! Get precuts, fat quarters or even start with scraps! Gôod luck!!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:22 AM

Maybe buy some really inexpensive fabrics to start with, remnants, garage sale fabrics, etc. Start small. Make a baby sized quilt with some of these cheap fabrics. Build confidence to move on to doing bigger things.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:42 AM

Welcome from Madrid Spain!
Don't be afraid of cutting. I began with June Taylor's shape ruler, cutting 2'5" strips and 5" squares. Best thing ever. Very easy. Then my first complete proyect was HST: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...f-t242485.html and now I really enjoy cutting fabric and order the stacks of pieces for each proyect.
If you mess a bit of fabric think that you are building your stash of scraps!!!

Happy quilting and Enjoy!

Last edited by tron80; 04-02-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:50 AM
Power Poster

look around for a local quilt shop that offers some beginner classes- and take a couple- they will help you learn to cut without risking ruining your expensive fabrics- and help you get over your fears. even those of us who have been quilting/sewing for many years still every now & then find it quite difficult to cut up a particular fabric- taking the 'plunge' with help (like at a class) can help immensely