Benefit basket ideas?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:52 PM

Default Benefit basket ideas?

Not sure if this is the right section for this. I was asked today about a benefit poker run for a former classmate of mine who was injured in an accident. They are holding a poker run with an auction for various gift baskets. Any ideas of something easy and economical that I could maybe whip up on my sewing machine for this? I have lots of fabric between my house and my mothers. At first I thought of a set of pillow cases - maybe in a pittsburgh steeler theme since we are located smack dab in the middle between cleveland and pittsburg but there are some die hard steelers fans around here!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:58 PM

I think pillow cases with a Steeler theme would be awesome. Have you made any of the tube pillow cases? If not, check out the tutorial for these on the Missouri Star Quilt Company website. They are super easy to make and really look sharp.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

I have seen bags made that have slots for the bingo dabblers around a center container. They have draw strings fir closure. You could put new dabblers in the slots and wrapped candy in the bag?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:01 PM

How about some cute mug rugs, coffee cups/mugs, and a bag of yummy coffee for two?
Old 04-27-2014, 06:27 AM

If the poker run is motorbike based, then bandanas, mug rugs, etc in biker themed fabric would also be welcomed?
Old 04-27-2014, 06:48 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to try and find some Steeler fabric in my stash (I know it is in there somewhere but I also like the idea of mug rugs with coffee. I want something I can do fairly quick cuz my life is so hectic right now there isn't much time for sewing/quilting lately.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:25 AM

Mug rugs with coffee, creamer, sugar packets, bandannas, cups, maybe some packaged brownies or goodies to go with the coffee.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
Mug rugs with coffee, creamer, sugar packets, bandannas, cups, maybe some packaged brownies or goodies to go with the coffee.
these are some of the same ideas that I had ... also bookmarks. Throw in some teas, chocolates, the little surprises that you like to find hiding in those baskets, cookies, ... check out your local .99 store you might get lucky there too

HUGE huge Steelers fans in my family, my hubby has his own Steelers man cave in the garage, LOL
Old 04-28-2014, 11:29 AM

I am assuming this poker run is for motorcycles and primarily male. I think a football theme is a great idea, but most guys I know won't go for tea and chocolates. What about Steeler do-rags for under their helmets? Add a neckerchief or two. Maybe a remote control caddy to put over a chair arm or a blanket/quilt with a football or motorcycle theme.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:58 PM

A fleece quilt that's tied works up fast, easy and is always a hit.