My Mother's Machine

Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 AM

Default My Mother's Machine

Howdy y'all

My mother passed away 3 1/2 years ago, and for as long as I can remember she used the same sewing machine. Neither of my sister's want it, so as soon as I make room for it in my house, it's mine. The machine is a Singer 306 in a cabinet, and when my mother bought it, she was told she was buying the very first one. Maybe the shop owner meant she was buying the first one from that particular store, but my mother was convinced that she had bought the first one ever made.

I've looked the 306 up on the internet, and so far I haven't found even one good review about it. But my mother kept it well cleaned and oiled (she used 3-in-one oil on it), and never had a bit of trouble with it. So I'm hoping someone here has something encouraging to say about it! LOL! I have one spot in my house where I could put it, but after reading the reviews I'm wondering if I should just leave it at my sister's house and look for another machine. I check Craigslist regularly and just recently missed out on a Singer 66K in a cabinet for only $40! So what do y'all think? Should I take my mother's machine? At the risk of being raked over the coals, I will say that my mother was very abusive, so I have no sentimental attachment to this machine at all. But if it's worth anything and it's free..... *shrug*

Donna
Old 07-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

If it were me, I'd really have to think about it. If you would have nothing but unpleasant memories each time you used it then I'd leave it.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:19 AM

Sound advice IMO.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
If it were me, I'd really have to think about it. If you would have nothing but unpleasant memories each time you used it then I'd leave it.

I agree, probably best to let someone else have it. It's not a rare or valuable machine and it's not one of Singer's best by any means. You'd also have to buy special needles for it as they don't take regular, universal needles.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Banned

Consider perhaps cleaning it up and selling it and then do something fun/nice with the $$.
Turn a possible negative into a positive.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 AM

I think that is what I would do. Use the money to get the machine you want.
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Consider perhaps cleaning it up and selling it and then do something fun/nice with the $$.
Turn a possible negative into a positive.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:02 PM

I've looked the 306 up on the internet, and so far I haven't found even one good review about it. But my mother kept it well cleaned and oiled (she used 3-in-one oil on it), and never had a bit of trouble with it.
From another angle, forget what you read or haven't read on the 'net. You have first hand knowledge that your mother used the machine, and in spite of abusing it with the wrong oil, it gave her no trouble. That should answer your machine question right there.
The only thing that might be a cause for concern is the machine takes the 206-13 needles and they are a bit difficult to find. Especially in the larger sizes.

From the memories of the abusive behavior angle, why not take the machine, clean it up. Bring it back to life and put a positive aura to it? A sewing machine is after all only a mechanical tool regardless of how we goofy humans try to humanize them.
Then after making something happy with it rehome it to someone who can use it if you need to.

JMNSHO

Joe
Old 07-14-2014, 12:08 PM

Oh and if you want a really nice Singer 66-16 in a cabinet, I have one you can have for that CL price you mentioned. Only thing is, you'll have to come and get it .....

Joe
Old 07-14-2014, 01:08 PM

another option, since singers and 15 clones all fit in a singer cabinet, you can spiff up the cabinet, sell the machine and get one you might like better? Or maybe you already have one that will fit in the cabinet? It is Really nice to be able to switch out one machine for another without having 400 cabinets
Old 07-14-2014, 02:08 PM

I like Joe's advice about giving that machine a positive aura. We can't change the past, but the more we can make good in the present, the better!