Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So Upset! >

So Upset!

So Upset!

Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Default So Upset!

We brought home a darling new puppy a few days ago, and he's laid down under my sewing machine and quietly chewed through the cord from the foot controller of my Juki2010Q!! This is not the power cord, but the cord between pedal and machine. The foot controller is plastic and apparently snapped together. There are no screws and no way I can see to take it apart. The foot controller is fine, it's just the dinky little cord that needs replacing. Well, after calling around, I find that Juki is telling it's shops that the cord is not available and you have to buy a complete foot pedal and cord... to the tune of $287! The machine only cost me $800 new, including shipping!

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Banned

Find an electrician who will repair the cord for you.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

Then get some PVC pipe to surround your cords.
Originally Posted by squirrelfood View Post
Find an electrician who will repair the cord for you.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:38 PM

My first thought: is the puppy ok? I would think you could get a replacement to fit either from Juki or another brand. I'd check with a sewing machine repair business. If you can't keep the puppy away from things like cords there is a product called bitter apple that you can put on things that tastes bad but causes no harm. Have lived through a lot of puppies!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:49 PM

That was my first thought, too -- is puppy ok? Babies will be babies, even the furry ones!

An electrician should be able to fix that for you without getting a new cord, but I'd definitely make sure you run that cord (and anything else that's reachable) through flexible conduit or something that puppy won't be able to chew through, or the next time it could be far worse. I'm so sorry that happened to your new machine!

I had a yorkie years ago who would never leave my test quilt blocks alone...always dug them out of the baskets and scattered all throughout the quilt room. That stopped when I made a small quilt out of some of those test blocks, just for her. She never touched them again. I buried her in her quilt two years ago.....and I still miss her like I lost her yesterday.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

if you have a low deductible, try checking with your insurance carrier.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:17 PM

Be glad the dog did not get fried. Buy the pedal and get quilting. Really....what are your other options?

Sandy
Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 PM

I've had puppy problems with the same machine...The price they quoted for the controller is the same that
I was quoted. I needed to have the cord replaced....and had the repair man replace it.
The other puppy issue is the red square that cuts the threads....my chihuahua seems to think it is a target for her butt. Try sewing along and hearing the cutting sound every few seconds.....I have since disconnected that function.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:35 PM

I found this website with some good pictures and even some instructions. https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...ical-connector I would use the 2-ended red connector shown on this page, which you can get at the hardware store or Radio Shack. Cut out the chewed section of wire, strip about 1/4" of insulation from each end. Put a wire in each end, and crimp. You could add some electrical tape for good measure. Then you'll be back in business!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:47 PM

I have a puppy we originally named Chester but he is now named Chewy because he liked to chew. I have several lap quilts with the corners chewed. My foot pedal cord has 3 splices in it wrapped with black electric tape. I was lucky my hubby was able to splice it for me. I figure when the chewing stops I will order a new pedal.