Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dog owners ... about washing kitchen floors - what do you recommend? >

Dog owners ... about washing kitchen floors - what do you recommend?

Dog owners ... about washing kitchen floors - what do you recommend?

Old 09-01-2014, 06:07 AM

Default Dog owners ... about washing kitchen floors - what do you recommend?

Well, unless I buy a new mop head every three washes, this just isn't going to work out, lol.

What do you use to every day mop your kitchen floors? Not hard wood, just regular old kitchen and bathroom linoleum. Does the swiffer wet jet or similar type mop work? I need something that I can throw away the pad every couple of times and that will actually clean and not just wet the floor. I do have an old Hoover for floor washing but that is impractical for every day use. I tried to get DD to wipe his paws each time or consider outside boots, but she just laughed, lol.

Help! What do you use?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:37 AM

I think you should just use DD!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 AM

I have old towels I use for everyday for the floors when the dogs leave little paws.

I have 3 dogs.

Then throw them in the wash and reuse them and dry outside.

I use bleach in them too.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:38 PM

I cut up old towels and leave them on the floor to use for wipeups of paw prints and water blow mishaps. It was a tip given by Heloise - take a towell and pad it or use two layers and keep it on the kitchen floor. You can put your foot on it to use to clean whatever hits the floor and you don't have to constantly bend over. Have 2 or three of them so you can just throw it in the wash and grab another one to use. Works great in this old country house.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:01 AM

I have old terry hand towels that I wipe the dog's feet with before she even gets to the kitchen. "Give me paw -- Good Girl, etc." I have a hook by the back door (inside) and nail the old girl before she even gets to the first step to the kitchen, and I hang the towel on that and when it gets dirty, throw it in the rag wash and start with another towel.

When I wash the floor, it is with the traditional pail and Pinesol on the hands and knees. My husband always got mad at me - "Why don't you use a mop?" Mop meaning the sponge thing that you push something down on it and it takes the water out! I don't use a mop because I want to get in the corners and you can't clean a corner with a mop. It takes a scrub rag and a finger to get into the corners. He didn't understand that, but he gave up on it and let me do my thing. I'll use my hands and knees as long as I can, but I don't think it'll be too much longer. Arthritis has taken a pretty good hold on my hands and the knees are getting tired of moving around on the kitchen and bathroom floors.

Edie
Old 09-02-2014, 03:27 AM

I have a mop similar to the swiffer device. However, it's refillable with your own cleaning solutions and I have 2 different towel-type pads for it. The head itself has little teeth to grip the pads. Very flat so I can get under the cabinet edges. Toss the pads into the wash. It works well on both my linoleum and ceramic flooring. Like the fact that I'm not constantly buying pads/covers or bottles of solution.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I have a mop similar to the swiffer device. However, it's refillable with your own cleaning solutions and I have 2 different towel-type pads for it. The head itself has little teeth to grip the pads. Very flat so I can get under the cabinet edges. Toss the pads into the wash. It works well on both my linoleum and ceramic flooring. Like the fact that I'm not constantly buying pads/covers or bottles of solution.
What's the name/brand?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 AM

I never liked the Swiffer stuff. Didn't like the chemicals and I thought it left the floor sticky. I bought the Mystic Mop a few years ago. The pads are reusable and washable. I keep a solution of water/vinegar/Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle for quick cleanups from dirty paws or spilled food. I also wipe the dog's paws when we come in from outside.
http://www.amazon.com/MysticMaid-Mys.../dp/B000941CT0
Old 09-02-2014, 04:30 AM

Having a very large dog, and prior I had two Saint Bernards who both would go mud bogging, I can feel your pain. I thought I would go crazy trying to keep the floor even remotely clean. I thought about the Swiffer but could not embrace the disposable pad costs and "green" issues. I found the answer to my floor issue, when I found a Libman mop that looks like the Swiffer , but has a reusable washable pad. I bought an extra pad so I could have one ready and one in the wash.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:01 AM

We have a dachsund and she has been trained if I have a towel in my hand she comes in and patiently waits for me to dry her off and wipe her feet. She's very good about it because she doesn't like to be wet.