Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece as quilt backing? >

Fleece as quilt backing?

Fleece as quilt backing?

Old 11-06-2014, 09:34 AM

Default Fleece as quilt backing?

My son wants a warm, cozy couch quilt for Christmas. I am piecing the top in flannels and wondered about using fleece on the back. Is there one brand of fleece that works better for this type of thing? If so, where did you find it? Thank you for any help!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:39 AM
dd

I've used from Joann's and I've used from Walmart. Didn't have any trouble with either.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:47 AM

I had someone quilt for me last year. It was a cotton pieced top and a fleece back. She said the fleece stretched a lot. It was from Joann's. So be prepared for some stretching.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:55 AM

I am getting ready to back a pieced top with fleece. However I never quilt fleece. I tried it once and had a mess. ( I am not a pro so maybe it's just me). I will birth mine and tie it. I have done this before and it works fine. JMHO
Old 11-06-2014, 09:56 AM

I love fleece backing! I get mine at JoAnn's (I think it's currently 50% off. I use elmers to sandwich and have never had any problems with stretching. It's a lot more forgiving than regular cotton, so the back of the quilt looks great!
Old 11-06-2014, 10:15 AM

There's good fleece and there's bad fleece. The good fleece is thicker, with a gently stretch. The bad fleece is thin and is VERY stretchy. WalMart used to carry both but I've notice our locals WMs have started carrying much more of the bad kind.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:44 PM

When I used fleece for the backing of a quilt I made. I sprayed it with 505. No stretching of any kind. Worked perfectly.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:13 PM

I bought fleece from Joanns after sme careful comparison shopping as they have many kinds: not too thick; not too slippery like Minky or that dimpled stuff that loses its shape; I checked to make sure it wouldn't shed by rubbing it against some plain cotton fabric; I checked the amount of stretch and whether it seemed to go back in shape right after I stretched it out.

I did spray baste (heh heh guilty as charged!!!), but I noticed the back of the fleece didn't stik as nicely as I would have liked to the batting. I did a good amount of structural quilting before I did any decorative stuff, and I kept the decorative stuff to a minimum, like sun motifs in setting triangles, or nice curlicues going up a path of HST or big meanders or whatever. I'm no quilting genius so no fancy loops and feathers.

I kept quilting stitches a little bigger than usual and kept an eye out for any pulling during the quilting because you might end up with a little pinch of fabric inside one stitch due to the bulk of the fuzz underneath.

Good luck, have fun with it!
Old 11-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Fleece makes wonderful backs! Feel it, compare it, choose the one you like. Lengthen the stitch length and loosen the top tension just a bit. Quilt a big ( not dense) design. Big waves, loopy designs work well
Old 11-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
.........I did spray baste (heh heh guilty as charged!!!)..........
Why the guilt?????

Here's the link to a quilt that I did with a fleece backing ... with notes as to how I conquered the stretch and quilting issues!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t239508.html

Fleece makes for a wonderfully light in weight quilt .... with lots of warmth!
Yes indeed ... it's on my radar to be used as a backing again!
BTW ... if you are wanting to use it for LAQing ... the gal that does mine has used it for all her family quilts, and has absolutely no problems with it on the LA.

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-06-2014 at 04:24 PM.