Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine appliqué using straight stitches >

Machine appliqué using straight stitches

Machine appliqué using straight stitches

Old 11-11-2014, 08:31 AM

Default Machine appliqué using straight stitches

I've been doing hand appliqué for a while now and hope to switch to machine appliqué. As I'm not comfortable doing satin or zig zag stitches which require more practice, can I sew straight stitches along the edge of the fusible appliqué shape? Will the edges fray after washing?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 AM

Hmm..yes,it's OK to do a straight stitch next to the edge. Batiks work best to avoid fraying. The new " fray bond" works pretty well to tame the rogue edges.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:58 AM

i just looked at some art quilts yesterday and they are raw edge applique with straight stitch and they look just great. I don't think I would do this if it was going to be washed.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:24 PM
KLO

If you go to McKenna Ryan's website (pineneedles.com) there is a write up about how she does this technique (http://www.pineneedles.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1877). She uses clear thread in the top and regular cotton thread in the bottom. I agree with sewingsuz, I would (and have) use this technique on wall hangings but I would be very tentative about using on a bed quilt or anyone that would be washed a lot.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

After doing machine applique for two decades, they do fray if they are washed. Have you thought about the buttonhole stitch? That is what I use. But I now do applique that I can have the edges turned under. Looks much nicer. But unless your an experienced machine quilter, you might find that your straight stitch will look crooked. I would do a practice on a block and see if you like the look.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:10 AM

sometimes a frayed edge can add a bit of texture and look intentional especially on flower petals and centers. i never liked the dense look of machined satin stitch applique. Hand-turned is lovely but if you're not up for that, a narrow zig-zag or buttonhole stitch works very well.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:12 AM

I second the buttonhole stitch.

You could also turn under the edges and straight-stitch, which would solve the fraying problem.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I have done it many times, but only on wall hangings that will not be washed.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:27 AM

I have done it on quilts that are used a lot and every thing is fine-just use a small stitch length
Old 11-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

you can use a fusible product that is one to be sewn through after applying to fabric. or you can do your applique pieces like Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day, use light weight fusible, draw applique item on smooth side, place on right side of fabric, sew on line. Clip opening if necessary to turn. turn and finger press. then lay onto quilt backing and press with iron. done. then blanket stitch by machine or straight stitch. no raw edges. i usually do SunBonnet Sues that way. good luck