Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine appliqué using straight stitches >

Machine appliqué using straight stitches

Machine appliqué using straight stitches

Old 11-12-2014, 12:45 PM

I use a blanket stitch to machine applique and it doesn't fray. Heres a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTYtBtprJ2M
Old 11-13-2014, 04:31 AM

A fine serpentine stitch works too. My daughter took a class where they used the fancy stitches on their machines. I thought it sounded crazy but it sure turned out pretty. Try various methods to see what you like.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
you can use a fusible product that is one to be sewn through after applying to fabric. or you can do your applique pieces like Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day, use light weight fusible, draw applique item on smooth side, place on right side of fabric, sew on line. Clip opening if necessary to turn. turn and finger press. then lay onto quilt backing and press with iron. done. then blanket stitch by machine or straight stitch. no raw edges. i usually do SunBonnet Sues that way. good luck
I did an entire McKenna Ryan quilt with this method, and I think it's well worth the extra effort if it is going to be used and washed frequently. I don't care for the raw edges.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
you can use a fusible product that is one to be sewn through after applying to fabric. or you can do your applique pieces like Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day, use light weight fusible, draw applique item on smooth side, place on right side of fabric, sew on line. Clip opening if necessary to turn. turn and finger press. then lay onto quilt backing and press with iron. done. then blanket stitch by machine or straight stitch. no raw edges. i usually do SunBonnet Sues that way. good luck
I really prefer doing bed quilts this way...wall hangings, tablerunners, etc., just wonder under and blanket or zigzag.....or for bed quilts, do freezer paper fold under, zigzag with invisible thread,then remove FP.....better than raw edged......jmho
Old 11-13-2014, 05:42 AM

When my daughter was young my machine only did a straight stitch. I loved to make her summer dresses with appliques. I would iron fusible interfacing on the fabric before cutting out the applique then stitch close to the edge with a small stitch. After many washing the applique didn't ravel.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:28 AM

With all the good info and suggestions you've gotten from the first people to respond to your query, also consider using some of the other (beyond buttonhole, zig zag, etc.) stitches that you might have on your sewing machine.

�� Pat
Old 11-13-2014, 07:10 AM

thanks for this link.... I never used my mirror image stitch on my Bernia.....wow.... always a new hint to improve speed and I love that she straight stitches between pieces.... I have just started doing that a bit.....

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I use a blanket stitch to machine applique and it doesn't fray. Heres a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTYtBtprJ2M
Old 11-13-2014, 10:21 AM

I bet if you will try the "blanket" stitch, you will like it for applique. It is not hard to master...if I can--YOU can. Just take it slow around curves. Stop every few stitches and pivot your fabric. I've been doing it for a while now and I like it. I try to match the thread to the fabric--I like that better than using one color, like black. Give it a try! :0)
Old 11-14-2014, 07:43 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by petpainter View Post
I did an entire McKenna Ryan quilt with this method, and I think it's well worth the extra effort if it is going to be used and washed frequently. I don't care for the raw edges.
I am wondering how you did the McKenna Ryan quilt by this method. I have done a couple of her designs and often there are a lot of pieces with sharp points which are also sometimes very thin strips such as pine trees. How did you turn these kinds of pieces right side out after sewing the fusible to them?
Old 11-15-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
I am wondering how you did the McKenna Ryan quilt by this method. I have done a couple of her designs and often there are a lot of pieces with sharp points which are also sometimes very thin strips such as pine trees. How did you turn these kinds of pieces right side out after sewing the fusible to them?
I was wondering the same thing! I am doing a coming into the light and I have some 'snow' on a branch that is so tiny!!!