Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walking foot that doesnt walk >

walking foot that doesnt walk

walking foot that doesnt walk

Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 PM

Default walking foot that doesnt walk

I have walking foot but it doesn't move, I have pull the material. what am I doing wrong? It works just fine with my regular foot but not with the walking foot.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 PM
Power Poster

Is the walking foot for your specific machine? Or a generic one? Are you keeping your feed dogs up? The walking foot works with the feed dogs to keep both the top and bottom fabric moving together. If it is not the foot for your machine that might be the problem, not all machines accept/work with the off brand- generic feet. And, make sure the foot is attached correctly. Your manual should show exactly how it should connect
Old 03-29-2015, 10:24 PM

My first thought would be - have you installed it correctly? You don't say the make/model of your machine, but with most of them you have to ensure the little lever rests on the needle screw. Check your manual/instructions or YouTube to make sure.

Have you dropped your feed dogs by mistake? Finally, check your pressure foot pressure. If all of this is fine, then it may well be faulty. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

There is something that must ride over the needle bar to make it move. All the other things others have posted.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:01 AM

I agree with the posters that you should check the installation. Mine has a little 'hook' that goes over the needle screw. It is easy to miss it even when I have installed it 100 times!

Pam
Old 03-30-2015, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

As previous posts have said, you have to first install it correctly. I wore out my Bernina walking foot and was able to buy a new older version to work on my older Bernina. I tried using generics but they don't work as efficiently as the one made for your specific model.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:28 AM

There is a long arm on the walking foot with a two-prong end, and this needs to be inserted over the screw on your machine's presser foot arm so that it will force the walking foot to move when the needle goes up and down. There are also 'long shank' and 'short shank' walking feet, and you need to be sure you have the right one for your machine. If all else fails, do you have a friend or a sewing machine shop you can take it to to look at it and diagnose the problem?
Old 03-30-2015, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I think it depends on the generic. I had several made specifically for my machine, by the manufacturer, bought at a sewing store. They fell apart pretty fast. Got a generic I think off the wall at Hancocks and that one is great. I do install them properly, with the little bar going over the needle thing. They work fine until they break.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:20 AM

Hopefully you have the proper foot for your machine. Are you sure its installed correctly? Mine has a fork type of thing that needs to be put in place before locking the foot to make the machine work. Be sure that it is on right. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:49 PM

I agree that it sounds like it is not on correctly be sure the hook is over the needle bar.