Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some reasons why non-quilters may not know/re the cost/value of quilts made "at home" >

Some reasons why non-quilters may not know/re the cost/value of quilts made "at home"

Some reasons why non-quilters may not know/re the cost/value of quilts made "at home"

Old 06-16-2016, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Default Some reasons why non-quilters may not know/re the cost/value of quilts made "at home"

1) They see quilts/bed covers advertised at $XXX for "any size" - and from "better" stores, too!

2) They do not know the cost of materials.

3) They do not realize the time involved in making a quilt.

4) People are "donating/giving away" quilts all the time - so others may assume that no more effort is involved in making a quilt than baking a cake or a batch of cookies for a bake sale.

5) Sometimes makers downplay the time and expense by saying something like "Oh, I just whipped this up" or "It was just a little something" or "I made this from scraps."

If we don't properly value what we make - how can we expect "outsiders" to properly value what we make?
Old 06-16-2016, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I agree. Since so many quilts are now sold in major stores imported from China so they don't realize the cost of fabric or the time it takes to make a quilt.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I was asked this question about cost just yesterday. My niece stopped by with a friend of hers. The friend wanted me to make a queensize quilt for her. I told her flat out I didn't do commission quilts. Then could I do it "for the fun of it" and she would give me what she thought it was worth. I happened to have a "few" receipts of my cost for a quilt that size. She just about dropped her pearly whites. Of course she said she could get one at Walmart and put it in layaway for less. She mentioned a photo and showed me a "Dear Jane" from scraps. I told her it still had material in it that was purchased at one time by the yard and would probably cost more because of the time to put all the pattern pieces together. I pulled up a simple 9 patch for a queensize and sent them on their way to WAlmart, JoAnn's and a couple LQS. They assumed to already have a dsm. They needed to purchase the notions (on a list) including a cutting mat and rotary cutter the whole 9 yards. I told them to go to the one LQS I frequent and the owner knows me. She showed them a couple quilts (wall hangings) she had made and a couple that local customers made. They were totally shocked at the cost. She showed them a handquilted and machine quilted quilts. My nieces friend signed up for some classes. They walked out with a whole new respect for the process from purchasing fabric to finishing and presenting a quilt. The friend decided she wanted to try to make her own eventually. She'll start small with one for her 3 year old. Her mother gave her the Bernina her father gave as a birthday present and never used. Still in the case with all the accessories. It's 35 years old!
Old 06-16-2016, 07:06 AM

I don't worry about the dollar value of my quilts. For me, it is about the planning, creating and completing the quilt that gives me enjoyment and pleasure. It is a hobby and has the added bonus of producing something useful. I don't plan on selling my quilts and no one would be willing to wait the years between ordering a quilt from me and receiving it. If I donate them, then I hope the organization either raises money because of my donation or finds a person that needs the quilt.

Arriving at a quilt dollar value is difficult because quilts are NOT created equally. For example, the cost of materials is vastly different between fabrics from a quilt shop, or from a discount fabric shop, or from your stash or re-purposed used clothing are used. The amount of fabric varies depending on the pattern. The planning costs are different between using pre-cuts or using a kit or using scraps or selecting the fabrics yourself; and how long does it take to find the pattern or how long did it take to create the pattern. The labor costs are different, depending on the difficulty of the pattern, your skill level, your speed and your degree of perfection (how many times did you re-sew). Your labor costs also depend on the tools that you are using; using technology (computerized sewing machines), a non-computerized sewing machine or sewing by hand or hiring a LA to quilt. Recouping the cost of your tools, depends on your tools; do you have a state-of-the-art sewing machine or are you using a treadle, how many rulers and other gadgets do you have. Even the cost of thread varies with the complexity of the pattern piecing and on the amount of quilting and the type of thread.

I am more like a stamp collector that appreciates the uniqueness of my stamps and not the value of my collection. My quilts are original art and as such I appreciate their uniqueness. Each quilt has its own value; maybe it is the first attempt at a new technique, or it was made for a special person, or the color combination, or a challenging pattern or "what was I thinking when I chose these fabrics" or what was happening in my life when I made it. When my quilts are gifts, the recipient knows it was created with love and they are free to use their gift however they wish.

How others appreciate my quilts is outside of my control. However I can and do make the effort to value the talent, effort, time and cost of others when I admire their creations.

Last edited by my-ty; 06-16-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

The monetary value of something is only what someone will pay it. I suspect all of my quilts cost more to make (in materials alone) than the monetary value. I have given many quilts to family members, and I know that not all of them have been appreciated, but those that have been make it all worthwhile. Quilting is my hobby, and not everyone has to appreciate it. I guess that's why I enjoy the company of other quilters, who "get it".
Old 06-17-2016, 04:26 AM

I make it a point to make a quilt for a relative, friend, babies, older folks--- out of love. I have never charged anyone for a quilt nor do I ever plan on it. As of today I have, left to finish, one oversized king size for me, one coverlet for my brother in law and no one after that yet, so I have planned to make some kitty and dog blankets for our local pet adoption place. Send the puppies, or dogs, kitties or cats home with their own blankets. I consider myself a quilter and after 20 some quilts that I have made, I wouldn't know what to charge - SO I DON'T! That's my story. Edie
Old 06-17-2016, 06:11 AM

My mother at one time clueless at the cost of a quilt too till she came to live with me and saw what it took to make one. She also saw the prices for fabrics, the time it took to make one......deciding on a quilt pattern, decision of colors and fabrics to use, the making of the quilt itself and then the decision for quilting patterns, etc. She never knew till then what it took but now she appreciates the quilt I made for her and what all I went thru to get it just right for her. Actually the quilt she eventually received was not the one I had made for her but she liked this other one I made just because I wanted to make that pattern so I gave her the one she wanted. I was also able to give the one I originally made for her to someone else so no loss for that one. Now my sister wants another one also than the one I originally made for her so I told her if I could find a new home for it then she would get the one she wants. Obviously she hasn't figured out the time/money involved. Luckily I found a new home for it. Some folks never understand things of this natural. Its the same for any craftsman when he/she makes something special for a patron, it takes time, energy and materials. The items purchased at the stores are assembly-lined made and if you think about it don't last as long sometimes either and don't have any meaning to us. Just my take on the subject.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I was asked this question about cost just yesterday. My niece stopped by with a friend of hers. The friend wanted me to make a queensize quilt for her. I told her flat out I didn't do commission quilts. Then could I do it "for the fun of it" and she would give me what she thought it was worth. I happened to have a "few" receipts of my cost for a quilt that size. She just about dropped her pearly whites. Of course she said she could get one at Walmart and put it in layaway for less. She mentioned a photo and showed me a "Dear Jane" from scraps. I told her it still had material in it that was purchased at one time by the yard and would probably cost more because of the time to put all the pattern pieces together. I pulled up a simple 9 patch for a queensize and sent them on their way to WAlmart, JoAnn's and a couple LQS. They assumed to already have a dsm. They needed to purchase the notions (on a list) including a cutting mat and rotary cutter the whole 9 yards. I told them to go to the one LQS I frequent and the owner knows me. She showed them a couple quilts (wall hangings) she had made and a couple that local customers made. They were totally shocked at the cost. She showed them a handquilted and machine quilted quilts. My nieces friend signed up for some classes. They walked out with a whole new respect for the process from purchasing fabric to finishing and presenting a quilt. The friend decided she wanted to try to make her own eventually. She'll start small with one for her 3 year old. Her mother gave her the Bernina her father gave as a birthday present and never used. Still in the case with all the accessories. It's 35 years old!
Great idea! It also created a new quilter. Good job, tessagin!
Old 06-18-2016, 06:07 PM

I am in the process of finishing the borders of a quilt that will go to auction for my DD's best friend's toddler who suffered brain damage due to seizures--Mom no longer able to work, lost insurance, they are finding lots of expenses for specialized equipment, etc and know that future is not looking brighter. So I suggested this quilt to auction at a fund raising dinner---in mid July! anyway, I always have my DH start bidding at least at the cost of materials, will get DSIL to up the bid and hopefully that will get the bidding off at a good starting point--otherwise we'll be bringing it home! Have done this before for other fundraisers and only once did it come home with me--but DD wanted it so worked out well.