Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craft shows >

Craft shows

Craft shows

Old 10-23-2016, 11:53 AM

Default Craft shows

I would like your opinion on craft shows. I was thinking about doing a booth at some festivals next year. How many of you have a booth and do you make good money? What I mean is it worth the time and money and hours spent in making them. What are some items you make and sell? Pillows, hot pads, lap quilts.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:44 PM

I'll be interested in seeing some responses here. I had a craft business way back in the 80s and I do remember it was a lot of work, esp. the outdoor shows where wind and rain can be a real problem when it occurs during the show. Rain outs are another big disappointment after planning and getting everything ready. I'd say you really have to enjoy the process--won't ever make back what your time is worth.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

A friend of mine does craft shows but not alone since mother nature calls at the worst times. I helped her with a couple and people really enjoy the "5 finger" discount. She's been doing it for a number of years. She always tries to add a couple items different to see what kind of response. She made some Christmas spiders with the history of them attached. She gets on a list and keeps track of the different events. She also had a full time job and a very supportive family since all benefitted. Her 2 girls did face-painting and made money also. She kept an eye on the weather predictions. She also check to make sure she could get a refund if an emergency came up or an event was cancelled since scheduling for a later date sometimes messed up her schedule.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:15 PM

I have done a lot of craft shows . I only do inside shows now because the tent and all that is to much work and the weather is unpredictable. I have three shows scheduled at this time. one at elks, and then a school, and another at a school when they have a christmas parade. They are only one day which is enough. I sell purses, bay blankets, adult bibs. aprons, little aprons for children, Cloth xmas trees, Corn or rice bags for microwave for sore muscles, jewelry totes, and more. I also make jewelry and sell that two. I don't make a lot but for some reason I keep doing it. I live in a small town and it is better if it is done in a bigger city. I have done shows in Phoenix and did well but the show cost more, then I have to travel and stay all night.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:39 PM

A friend of mine used to make quillows to sell at a place that sold local crafts on consignment. She said she made decent money but never said how much. Someone told me she sold them at $60.00 a piece but that was well over 10 years ago. Another friend made the folded quilt balls to sell. She sold them for $15.00 a piece. I can't imagine paying that much for one, but they do take a lot of time and are not cheap to make. Crafting in general is not cheap. I used to do the crocheted angels for family and friends - then I saw some at a store made in China for less than cost of the thread I used and it just bothered me. When my DD was in Girl Scouts I was in charge of the crafts they made - it was fun.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:22 PM

I do one big local craft show a year. It's cancelled this year due to construction at the venue. Mainly I sell baby quilts, wall hangings, hot plates and small kitchen items, never any big quilts. Cost to participate (bring your own table) is $30. I generally make about $250 for the day. To me, it's worth it; it's fun to see some return customers, some friends, it's a pleasant day. If you consider my time I'm really not making a profit but it's fun to do. Doing it seriously, several shows, to really generate income is a different thing. With the cancellation this year the vendors who do this as a business are missing out on a day's income. There are also days when nothing sells. Setting up and taking down tables etc. isn't easy. I'd say give it a try and proceed based on your own experience.

I also take a table at my apartment building's annual flea market. It's completely closed to anyone outside the building and we vendors spend most of the day visiting with each other. There isn't much participation from a building with 400 apartments. Is this one worth it to me? Not really, but I try and support whatever building activities I can.

If you go ahead and try it, good luck and enjoy yourself. (both of these are indoors)
Old 10-23-2016, 04:41 PM

I would say, before you commit to doing anything. Spend some time visiting all the Craft shows in your area. See what everyone has. You really don't want to make and sell the exact same thing. Economically, At the moment, I think that little items would probably sell better. Anything bigger, maybe just make a few samples and take orders for those items.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:46 PM

I've done three and my experience was that people like to look and comment but expect garage sale prices!
Old 10-23-2016, 04:58 PM

I've never done one--only contribue to the church bizaare and the guild boutique at the show--my aunt used to do craft shows all the time and I'd sometimes be that extra help for set up/take down and spell her for nature's calls. She did a great business--but almost all the sales were small items--mostly wooden painted Christmas ornaments. In our boutique it seems like most buyers are also looking for small items--things that they wouldn't make for themselves and can use as presents, etc.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
I would say, before you commit to doing anything. Spend some time visiting all the Craft shows in your area. See what everyone has. You really don't want to make and sell the exact same thing. Economically, At the moment, I think that little items would probably sell better. Anything bigger, maybe just make a few samples and take orders for those items.
Judith has a good idea...our YMCA has several craft shows each year and sometimes there are duplicate items. I don't think attendees expect a discount and I can usually find something unique for gifts but I have never purchased items I know I can make myself.