Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pfaff vs janome or others >

pfaff vs janome or others

pfaff vs janome or others

Old 01-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Question pfaff vs janome or others

I have a Pfaff tiptronic 2030 that I bought in 2001 to use for quilting and still using it regularily. Have not had any problems with it. It does what I want it to do. I think about upgrading when I see the newer machines but wonder if I really need to do that. I don't see many comments about the Pfaff machines on this site. Are others using a machine 16 yr. old and still satisfied that it does everything you want with no problems?

Last edited by JANNY; 01-03-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: error
Old 01-03-2017, 10:12 AM

I bought a Pfaff 1471 in 1986 and used it regularly up to a few months ago. It was a great machine but it was beginning to have a few issues. I bought a Pfaff Quilt Ambition 2.0 and I like it. I recommend Pfaffs, the IDT feature is the best. My old machine would sew over any thickness without a hesitation.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:40 AM

I love both my Pfaff machines. I have a over 20 year old 7550 and a 1 year old Creative Sensation Pro and I use them both. The IDT is my favorite feature on both! I have never done anything but regular cleaning on either one of them. You get what you pay for and Pfaff is quality.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:21 AM

In my experience, sadly, most older machines of nearly any type are better than new. My granny's 1930s waffle maker is still working perfectly and I've been thru 3 in 15 years. that being said, if you like computerized machines the newest might have features yours doesn't. My aunt still fmq's on her 1901 singer that she inherited, it's been working with nothing but oil and a couple new belts for 115 years now.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:05 PM

I bought a Pfaff 2134 when I started quilting about 8 years ago and have been very happy with it. It has the embroidery function which I was not interested in but got a good price on the machine since it had been used for classes in the shop and that version was being discontinued. It is a "computer" machine but was not babied at all. I've taken it with me to Texas every winter just setting under the table in our motorhome. Have had it cleaned by the shop a couple of times. I enjoy doing FMQ and have wished for a larger throat space, although I've done as large as queen size on it. So this fall my LQS had a sale and I bought the Pfaff 4.2. It has a large throat and lights under the "arm". I don't know what to call it. I can't ever have too much light and I love it for that if nothing else! I'm still getting to know my new machine but so far, I really like it. So, long story, sorry. I like both my Pfaffs . If there are certain things you would like in a new machine, I would say start looking for what you need. There are some good youtube videos that demonstrate the 4.2 and I think the 5.0. They are by Village "something".
Old 01-03-2017, 03:54 PM

The Youtube videos are under Village Sewing. I purchased the Performance 5.0 last year after I was at local sewing store and viewing the video made my decision. They have videos of other machines; all are very detailed and walk you through the pros and cons of machines. I still have a Select 3 that I can use for classes and travel and am happy with it. I traded an Ambition 1.0 in when I bought the Performance 5.0 only because I didn't need to have 3 machines. Main reason I like Pfaff is the IDT system, I have had other machines with walking foot but they were too bulky and awkward when I make my jointed teddy bears. I would recommend you visit a sewing machine dealer if there is one close and sit down and take a few machines for a spin to see what you like and don't like. Also this is a perfect time to get a floor model or class machine at discount. Happy shopping.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:12 PM

I had an old machine that sewed well. I upgraded because i wanted to be able to do blanket stitch. As a bonus, I also enjoy the automatic threader, the knee lift and the needle down feature. If I went back to my old machine, I would really miss these features. I didn't know what I was missing until I got my new machine.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Power Poster

My machine is almost 13 yrs old Janome 6500 and I have no desire to up grade. It does everything I want it to do and then some. I also do use antique straight stitch machines and am very happy with those.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:25 AM

I have a Pfaff 7570 that I bought in 1995 and have never had a problem with it. Yes, it does what I want it to, it's my 'go-to' machine. I just bought a Pfaff Performance 5.0 since my other Pfaff has been such a good machine, I wanted another Pfaff. I don't think I'm going to get rid of the 7570, gotten kind of attached to it after all these years. The new machine has more bells and whistles than the 7570, and hopefully will be as good a machine as the 7570. I have a Baby Lock Elegante which I've had quite a bit of problems with.

I think another Pfaff would be a good choice.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:01 PM

I have a Pfaff 1473 that I am using now which is over 20 years old. I wore out the first one my hubby (then boyfriend) got me for Christmas in 1972. I also found a Pfaff #11treadle machine that still works.love my pfaffs