Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I Don't Know Whether to Laugh or Cry >

I Don't Know Whether to Laugh or Cry

I Don't Know Whether to Laugh or Cry

Old 05-31-2017, 06:56 AM

Default I Don't Know Whether to Laugh or Cry

Craigslist post:

https://lubbock.craigslist.org/tls/6145006971.html
Old 05-31-2017, 11:30 AM

Think of it like this: at least those two aren't in the landfill.

In reality, there are a lot more old sewing machines out there than there is demand for old sewing machines. If not, they would not be in Goodwill, thrift shops, craigslist, etc. for very cheap prices. People used to "need" (literally) sewing machines. Now, other than tailors or custom drapery people, almost no one needs a sewing machine. They have become tools for our hobbies.

We sewing machine lovers can't keep them all. It will likely be at least another 30 years before old sewing machines are valuable enough to keep out of the landfill.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 05-31-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:44 AM

I agree with you bkay.
millions and millions and millions. and millions

Unlike plastic and computerized machines, there is nowhere But the landfill for them.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Think of it like this: at least those two aren't in the landfill.

In reality, there are a lot more old sewing machines out there than there is demand for old sewing machines. If not, they would not be in Goodwill, thrift shops, craigslist, etc. for very cheap prices. People used to "need" (literally) sewing machines. Now, other than tailors or custom drapery people, almost no one needs a sewing machine.

We sewing machine lovers can't keep them all.

bkay
I disagree with this for a simple fact. There are a finite number of these old machines and their cabinets. The more machines that idiots like this destroy making their "art"(and I use that term loosely), the less machines there are every day and eventually they will be extinct in the wild, the few remaining will only be in the hands of museums and rich collectors. It especially makes me ill when I see machines that are already rare(or even just common, still plentiful) being made into tractors, lamps, book ends, etc...These old machines are part of history, part of the evolution of engineering marvels of previous centuries.

Cari
Old 05-31-2017, 01:22 PM

We should take care of these machines. Nothing like the cast iron machine will every be made again, and if more people knew how capable and good they are I'm sure more old machine would be cleaned up and put to use again. I have noticed a lot of people keep a sewing machine for the odd job around the house, often a brand new bargain model. Some of these models compare well to the best of modern machines and endlessly better than some new. The cast iron straight stitchers have been old for 50-60 years now, a lot of them have been thrown out already. The freearm zigzagger came in 1945 (at least Bernina), the built in stitch patterns and buttonholer in the 50s. How many would consider a straight stitcher these days?

We are very driven by the latest and newest, in many ways I am too, but for some things I sometimes prefer the older; some pieces of furniture, and a cast iron Singer 201. I think I would like an old house too. :- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-31-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I disagree with this for a simple fact. There are a finite number of these old machines and their cabinets. The more machines that idiots like this destroy making their "art"(and I use that term loosely), the less machines there are every day and eventually they will be extinct in the wild, the few remaining will only be in the hands of museums and rich collectors. It especially makes me ill when I see machines that are already rare(or even just common, still plentiful) being made into tractors, lamps, book ends, etc...These old machines are part of history, part of the evolution of engineering marvels of previous centuries.

Cari
While I agree that there are a finite number of these machines out there and it is getting smaller, I'm not sure how valuable they will ever be. Somethings get a following and are very valuable with age, some not so much. There has to be enough people wanting them for them to be valuable. In cars, a 55 Chevy can (not always) be a very valuable car. A 55 Buick, not so much. There has to be demand as well as scarcity to create value. I'm not sure how much demand there will be as younger people are not so much interested in making things by hand.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:37 PM

You are right Patrice, most of them will not be very valuable in money, but to someone who sews, spending a bit of time, money and energy on a vintage machine can give the nicest machine and pay off the investment many times over. At least considering what a new machine of similar capability and quality would cost. The old top models were very well made and perform just as good as any new. Some like the vintage look too. The Featherweight became very popular at one point, the 201 is kept in high regard even if it doesn't fetch much money the prices are stable. A cabinet in good condition should still be worth something. With every decade how many machines will be lost?
Old 05-31-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post

Cari
While I agree that there are a finite number of these machines out there and it is getting smaller, I'm not sure how valuable they will ever be. Some things get a following and are very valuable with age, some not so much. There has to be enough demand for them to be valuable. In cars, a 55 Chevy can (not always) be a very valuable car. A 55 Buick, not so much. There has to be demand as well as scarcity to create value. I'm not sure how much demand there will be as younger people are not so much interested in making things by hand.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:07 PM
Banned

There always has been and always will be a market for sewing machines, even vintage and antique ones. Some are valuable now, some not so much but as the decades pass and more are gone, eventually even ones that are still common now will become more valuable because there will be fewer of them. Someday, and it will be a sad day, the last cast iron sewing machine in the wild will be gone. There's value in an old Buick, I know it cost me a pretty penny when I hit one years ago. Even Edsels and Touch N Sews have a following.

Cari
Old 05-31-2017, 09:35 PM

It saddens me. I use one of my featherweights daily. In fact, when I oiled mine tonight, I silently marveled at the engineering and the simplicity and the usefulness and the joy it brings me. My machines are precious to me.