Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't know whether to cry or cuss! >

I don't know whether to cry or cuss!

I don't know whether to cry or cuss!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 PM

In a previous post I had asked about the Flynn quilting frame. I had put my queen size d9p on the frame to baste since I couldn't get the hang of quilting on it. Well....I spent parts of three days basting the quilt ever four or five inches. Today as I started to put the last basting row in, I discovered I had run out of backing. It only went downhill from there. I removed the quilt from the frame and the back was terrible! I could see why I had run out of backing as there were large ripples between the rows of basting. After a few minutes of gritting my teeth, I pulled out all the basting threads.
Now i'll wait untill my order of 505 basting spray comes before I go back to it. All I can figure is I pulled the backing too tight and stretched it. We live and learn but some lessons are harder then others. I had planned to start the quilting this afternoon. Now I guess i'll work on something else...
Ditter
Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Well, I do a little of both when something like this happens. After that, you'll feel better. Easier said than done, but don't let it get you down. At least you hadn't cut the backing wrong and made it too short.
It's fixable! I'm sorry you put so much time into this, then have to re-do it.

I ordered 505 for my machine embroidered candy cane holder ornaments, and it was a LIFESAVER! I tried some other I had, but it didn't work on the felt and/or stablizers I was using OR it was old or something.

Hang in there! You'll get it!!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

I feel your pain and would probably do both (cry and cuss) I still haven't got the hang of my Flynn Frame but I think it's because I like to do BIG quilts.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
Well, I do a little of both when something like this happens. After that, you'll feel better. Easier said than done, but don't let it get you down. At least you hadn't cut the backing wrong and made it too short.
It's fixable! I'm sorry you put so much time into this, then have to re-do it.

I ordered 505 for my machine embroidered candy cane holder ornaments, and it was a LIFESAVER! I tried some other I had, but it didn't work on the felt and/or stablizers I was using OR it was old or something.

Hang in there! You'll get it!!
Just try again, you will get there.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:33 PM

It might help you to work on something else and then tackle it later :) **hugs** hope you get it next time!!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 PM

After I took the backing off it looked stretched so I thought I needed to wash it again. After it came out of the dryer it still wouldn't hang right. Sooo I took it apart and restraightened the two pieces. I haven't sewn them back together yet but keep your fingers crossed for me. I'll probally tackle it again after supper. If I let too much time pass when I do something like this, I find it hard to start again. Small breaks are good but I can't put it off for long!
Ditter
Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM

Would it make you feel better if I jumped up and down on the quilt for you???? :D :D

Take a deep breath -- tomorrow will be better... :D
Old 01-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I was pinning one at home once and the back was not right when I got done. My back (spine) was aching by the time I got all the pins out again. I said some words a lady should not say, and had to re-do it. I certainly feel your pain. I have times when I want to work on a particular item too. Right now I am waiting for an order to arrive so I can finish cutting the fabric for a "Hole in the Barn Door" I want to start. I had two yards of each color but the sashing, border, and binding are going to be in the red and there was not enough.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM

You did take the selvages off of your backing I hope.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

oooooh it is so frustrating when things like that happen and especially when you have worked so long on it..hope it works out for you and will hold everything crossed for you!