Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Need suggestions for getting organized for a Quilt Retreat >

Need suggestions for getting organized for a Quilt Retreat

Need suggestions for getting organized for a Quilt Retreat

Old 01-18-2019, 01:08 PM

Default Need suggestions for getting organized for a Quilt Retreat

I will be going to my first ever quilt retreat in March, it is within a 30 minute drive, but it is for 4 days/3 nights. I would love to hear your suggestions on keeping yourself organized during a retreat. For starters I am thinking that it would be a good idea to make myself a châtelaine for my scissors that I can wear around my neck. Or maybe an apron? What have you all found useful to keep things at your fingertips so they don’t get misplaced. Any photos and pattern names much appreciated.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I think something to hold your scissors is an excellent idea. When I go to classes, I often pack all my supplies in a plastic shoebox. It can sit by the sewing machine and hold all those tools and supplies that otherwise get distributed all over the place, and it's easy to pack up when I go home.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:51 PM

I put a red ribbon on my scissors. Name labels are on all my tools, feet, rulers, etc. For class, I use a double layer fishing tackle box. Easy to keep packed and also use by machine at home too.

This is the one I have. Even the large ruffler foot fits in the bottom layer.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/plano-3950-satchel-box

This one looks nice too.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/plan...ided-organizer

You may want an apron to wear for the small tools. Good luck packing.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:13 PM

Label EVERYTHING!!! I you loose it or it doesn't make it home with you the retreat organizers will be able to get it back to you. I have a small folding TV tray that I take, it sits on my right side with a small metal cookie sheet with sides on it. I have several small round magnets on it that keep snips, and small metal things from sliding around and is organized just like my sewing area at home all pencils, markers, rippers, rotary cutters. and the like fit in a large Hunts tomato can it has magnets hot glued to bottom. When you decide what projects your taking do as much precutting as you can before hand. Take your fabric leftovers with you, I Leave mine in the car unless I need them. place project thread, bobbin, pattern, and anything else special you may need for that 1 project in a 1 or 2 gallon zip bag. I do this for every project i take. I also take had project, just incase i want a change of pace or get frustrated with what i'm doing.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 AM

Some great tips here, thank you. I shall be following with interest.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:08 AM

My bionic gear bag holds everything
Old 01-19-2019, 03:39 AM

Label everything, snacks, chocolate is a must, water, extra needles, slippers, filled bobbins, hooded sweat shirt, neck gets cold in drafts, extra lighting. Cup holder that clips on table. Hand warmers, for stiffness, food .
Old 01-19-2019, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
Some great tips here, thank you. I shall be following with interest.
Same here...I have yet to experience a quilting retreat but I can’t wait someday. It seems the dates just never work with my schedule.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

some people bring their own chairs and/or seat cushions
Old 01-19-2019, 04:22 AM

This may or may not be what you are considering, but for me it works. After organizing as suggested above, labeling, shoe box/tackle box, I put all my quilting work in one roller bag. My personal stuff all goes in another bag. I also plan what I want to accomplish and make "Kits" with pattern, fabric, thread in a clear single bag. I have a local shop that used clear plastic bags. Perfect for holding my retreat kits. This also lets me know what templates I will need. Don't forget spray starch or what ever you use. I do take a small table and a mini iron. Ask about the chairs that will be available. Some folks take their favorite chair or back support device. Then in the end if you forget something.....stand up and ask. This is a wonderful way to meet and greet the rest of the folks at the retreat! Have a marvelous time.