Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need suggestions for getting organized for a Quilt Retreat

Rotary blades. I have a tool box from JoAnn's, I found it in the bead dept, I think....

I have never ever been on a quilt retreat but have traveled with sewing projects to do at my destination.

-soft eyeglass case to slip rotary cutter into
    -safety glove
    -quilting gloves if you will be quilting and not just piecing.
    -Phone, Charger and adapter
    -ear plugs (can you say noisy roommates?) ótake extra for your roommates if you are a snorer
    -bandaids, cough drops, prescription meds, ibuprofen
    - hand sewing needles: prethreaded so I donít waste time there
    -mini flashlight
    machine lint brush

i would ask if they have a heating pad for stiff neck or backache)

You are fortunate to live just 1/2 hour away. Worst case scenario, you have to drive home ifyou forget something major.
    Last edited by zozee; 01-23-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Precut your projects at home.....that way you don't waste time cutting at the retreat. You are ready to sit and sew.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    I use a double layer fishing tackle box.
    A few years back I was a scrapbooker and used a soft sided tackle box for chalks, inks and embellishments. Our house was broken in to and the tackle box was taken. The one thought that made my laugh though it all, was the thought of them opening it expecting to see a collections of fishing lures. Hope they had fun with those chalks sets!!

Quote Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
    A few years back I was a scrapbooker and used a soft sided tackle box for chalks, inks and embellishments. Our house was broken in to and the tackle box was taken. The one thought that made my laugh though it all, was the thought of them opening it expecting to see a collections of fishing lures. Hope they had fun with those chalks sets!!
    thats funny !

Blog Entries
    I'm a very messy, spread out quilter. I went on my first quilt retreat last year and made a bunch of stuff to take. Here's the post:
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...s-t295917.html
    I will say that the straddle bag worked really well, as a matter of fact, I continued to use it when I returned. I like having the items stored in it close, but not taking up any table real estate. We were permitted to bring a table to our retreat. The maximum dimensions were provided by the organizer. Rather than bring a TV tray or other folding tray, my girlfriend and I each brought one 12 gallon tote, similar to this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-12-...12+gallon+tote
    They stacked, and together were the correct dimension for the permitted accessory table. I had my husband cut a piece of plywood for the top & put a cutting mat on that. My friend and I put it between us. I had a couple different brands of totes and some were less sturdy, so if you go this route, you need to make sure that the ones you choose will be sturdy enough to cut on. They held a ton of stuff and were very convenient, and we could slide it under the table when not in use.
    Finally, i was glad I brought my acrylic extension table for my sewing machine. I could put small tools under it in an open top tray. easily visible, but yet out of the way.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Put your name on Everything, get a comfortable rolling chair w/cushion, ear plugs if you share a room/bed. Have lots of fun.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-03-2019 at 08:34 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    I also purchased a set of four wheeled casters from Harbor freight, put tennis balls in the center. Fits nicely over the chair legs. Rolling chairs are better than fighting with those folding chairs. The casters are heavy, but since you are going in your car, no problem.
    I totally agree about rolling chairs being better. I'm having trouble visualizing this.
    Do you have a picture you could share, please? It sounds interesting! Thanks
    So many ideas... so many projects.. so little time!
    ~Phadrea

If you loan your tools to others be sure to write their names down and the name of tool borrowed. Its very easy to forget who has your tools by the end of the Retreat.

Take an OTT light or a small light to put at your work place and a power/ extension cord so you can plug your sewing machine, light, etc into it. Be sure to label everything with your name on it including all of your cords because many of us own the same brands of items.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2