Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Need suggestions for getting organized for a Quilt Retreat >

Need suggestions for getting organized for a Quilt Retreat

Need suggestions for getting organized for a Quilt Retreat

Old 01-28-2019, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

I'm a very messy, spread out quilter. I went on my first quilt retreat last year and made a bunch of stuff to take. Here's the post:
Retreat items
I will say that the straddle bag worked really well, as a matter of fact, I continued to use it when I returned. I like having the items stored in it close, but not taking up any table real estate. We were permitted to bring a table to our retreat. The maximum dimensions were provided by the organizer. Rather than bring a TV tray or other folding tray, my girlfriend and I each brought one 12 gallon tote, similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-12-...12+gallon+tote
They stacked, and together were the correct dimension for the permitted accessory table. I had my husband cut a piece of plywood for the top & put a cutting mat on that. My friend and I put it between us. I had a couple different brands of totes and some were less sturdy, so if you go this route, you need to make sure that the ones you choose will be sturdy enough to cut on. They held a ton of stuff and were very convenient, and we could slide it under the table when not in use.
Finally, i was glad I brought my acrylic extension table for my sewing machine. I could put small tools under it in an open top tray. easily visible, but yet out of the way.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:27 PM

Put your name on Everything, get a comfortable rolling chair w/cushion, ear plugs if you share a room/bed. Have lots of fun.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-03-2019 at 08:34 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-03-2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
I also purchased a set of four wheeled casters from Harbor freight, put tennis balls in the center. Fits nicely over the chair legs. Rolling chairs are better than fighting with those folding chairs. The casters are heavy, but since you are going in your car, no problem.
I totally agree about rolling chairs being better. I'm having trouble visualizing this.
Do you have a picture you could share, please? It sounds interesting! Thanks
Old 02-04-2019, 11:28 AM

If you loan your tools to others be sure to write their names down and the name of tool borrowed. Its very easy to forget who has your tools by the end of the Retreat.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:51 AM

Take an OTT light or a small light to put at your work place and a power/ extension cord so you can plug your sewing machine, light, etc into it. Be sure to label everything with your name on it including all of your cords because many of us own the same brands of items.