Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Room Tidy List for Jan/Feb

Sewing Room Tidy List for Jan/Feb

(I am reposting this here because it makes more sense than where I accidentally put it earlier.)

Sewing Room Sections to Tidy in January and February

I just made this list and took a picture in case anyone else would like a visual to help them. Having a detailed list of sections helps me stay on track, see my progress by area as opposed to going willy-nilly around my room, and I can cross off a section at a time.

Additionally, with my personality, I like to choose a section based on my level of motivation, energy, need for space in a certain area, or a given time allotment. I could not make the closet one section or I'd feel overwhelmed. So making it 3 is better. Also, since I am also concurrently decluttering my master bedroom for my DD and DSIL to do the makeover (their "big gift" to us) , I am being realistic that it will take two months to do both rooms.

Blog Entries
    Zozee, this is a great way to get started. Very inspiring. I will be following and cheering you along. Hope you take before and after photos.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Blog Entries
    Looks like a thoughtful way to dissect your sewing room in getting it organized. We will be supporting you on from the sidelines. It always feels good when you can work in an organized space. Although I have a large room (a new addition over our two car garage) dedicated to my hobby, I do not have a large stash or a lot of notions so it is easy for me to keep it clean...I did my room on Saturday.
    Keep us up to date on your progress...from the beautiful quilts you post, I always think of you as being organized.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

We are trying to get rid of stuff that is stored that we don't use and our kids have said they don't want. So, like ZoZee, I have a list to use to go through the various rooms of the house. I plan to get all this done in January because I want it 'done' so I don't have to feel guilty when I do fun things-like sew. Thanks for the encouraging word.

Good Luck Zozee. My sewing room is a total mess and the overflow has taken up most of the bathroom. We have an ensuite so don't use the bathroom. Tomorrow my husband and I are going to tackle both these rooms, I'm going to try to be ruthless. Main problem is husband and I work in very different ways so tomorrow should be interesting.

Good plan ! I tidied up last week, just a couple of things to deal with and I’ll be finished and ready for the new year ! Yippee !!

Good plan, Zozee! I wish I were organized enough to make a plan like yours, but then it would take me more than 2 months to execute it. Here's wishing you all success. Please post before and after photos so we can give you all the congrats. that you will deserve.

Blog Entries
    Great plan! Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think i would have ever thought of the design wall. The center is clean, but the edges have little piles pinned to them and it is nothing but clutter.

I did get my sewing room organized over the New Year. All fabric is nicely folded and put on shelves by color. Small items put where they are supposed to be. Then I got a couple of borders put on a quilt. It was so nice to sew and find things when I needed something. Definitely worth the effort.

I might take "Before" pictures of just one section at a time, but OY!! Thinking of showing you all the whole room right now is scare-----reeeee. The internet is forever!

I am organized in the sense that I have a place for almost everything, I can usually find what I'm looking for, and I operate better in an orderly room. But I fail at putting things back in their place when I'm tired or hurried or in a creative frenzy. And I simply have too much stuff. Not a huge stash by any means, but more than I enjoy. Even though I have plenty of room to store things, I don't want to possess so much, see so much, manage so much. I like open spaces, clear surfaces, and organized closets.

Hence the purging, not just "organizing." As Flylady says, "You can't organize clutter."

Maybe if I tidy up my fabric room, I'll find the redwork pattern that is hiding....and I mean REALLY hiding.

Great motivator... Mine looks like a rain wreck - time to tidy and then on to those wonderful projects for the year. thanks a bunch!

I'm a list maker too, so I understand your need to get organized in that way. But I've found that sometimes my lists bog me down and I get more done if I just put the list down and tackle the project. Some things don't take as long as I think they will, once I get started.

Today I tackled the cutting table.
    First I took a picture.
    Then I emptied the two trash cans in the room.
    Then I set my timer for 30 minutes, but when it beeped, I still had motivation to finish.

Presenting....

The mess before. Scraps, cards, stickers, tools, a sign that's buried, a drinking glass, one too many little table-top trash containers (which I use for very small bits and threads). I didn't have room to cut an entire yard of fabric without moving stuff out of the way. There's a reason it's called a cutting table, people.

Name:  IMG_6825.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  123.3 KB

Approximately 90 minutes later, everything that didn't belong here is now where it does.

I can cut more than a yard of fabric now. Imagine that.

Name:  IMG_6828.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6826.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  95.6 KB
    Last edited by zozee; 01-02-2019 at 11:32 AM.

OMG You had me cracking up laughing Zozee! I'm such a neat freak when it comes to my quilting and my reading that there is no way my room would ever be messy. I put things away as soon as I am done using them - fabric measured? Rulers and cutting tools are hung up instantly.

Now, if you want to talk about where I "fail" ... it's cooking ... I can cook - I just hate cooking. So my meals are mainly salads. I make a huge salad every sunday and that's what I have for supper every night LOL

Your cutting space looks awesome!

Great job, Zozee!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Hooray! My cutting table is hugs, but I still have to do clean-up when I want to use it. Too often the clutter just gets pushed to one end.

Great job, Zozee! If my area is clear, it means I’m working in another area!

Looks great Zozee.

I just have a 90" countertop I need to unclutter. I sorted and reorganized my fabrics a few months ago. I store my things in upper cabinets and that was done after organizing my fabrics. I do need to dust the floor. I spot dust it so it never gets too bad.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Very nice work, Zozee! And your list shows you are a far more organized person than I am.

I did a big declutter at Thanksgiving, so the family could come and actually use the dining room to gather and eat! (It's my "downstairs" sewing room the rest of the year). I tend to put stuff away as soon as I'm finished with it, so it's still nice and orderly (more or less). My upstairs sewing room (longarm room) stays pretty neat. So I'm all ready to dive into 2019 projects!

I have some plastic drawers full of precut scraps, that I want to empty out. My goal is to make scrap quilts for donation with them. So far, so good!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maybe lists would work. I have been waking up and not being able to get to sleep thinking of how to 'Move the Clutter"---make more space and BREATHE, and get that JOY!
    Carol

Quote Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
    Maybe lists would work. I have been waking up and not being able to get to sleep thinking of how to 'Move the Clutter"---make more space and BREATHE, and get that JOY!
    A list really keeps me from zigzagging around and getting tired with little to show for my work. And a list takes it out of my brain storage where it gets stuck.

Blog Entries
    You’re off to a great start Zozee...keep up the momentum and you may get through your entire list before the end of January. It must feel great to have your desktop cleaned.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I think a list sure does help to follow our goals. Nice list Zozee. I find I can get more accomplished if I have a list but sometimes I lose my list and then I am so lost!!

Great work Zozee, I've spent 30 minutes putting away threads and bobbins and folding fabric. That's me done for the day no motivation at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast