Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello fabric colors - how do these look? >

Bargello fabric colors - how do these look?

Bargello fabric colors - how do these look?

Old 09-19-2021, 04:04 PM

Default Bargello fabric colors - how do these look?

I am doing my first bargello quilt, following the pattern Surf Song from Eileen Wright's book Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts. I want to use blues and greens (I found an image of a quilt I loved, I believe the quilt was actually made by a member of Quilting Board - Eddie - a number of years ago).

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to choose fabrics. I did end up going to a second LQS and ended up replacing 5 fabrics. Since the pattern calls for 20 fabrics, I feel pretty good that I only felt I needed to swap out 5!

How do these fabrics look together? I took a picture in color then in black and white. I am also posting a picture of the quilt that is my inspiration for color. Nervous to start cutting!
fabrics1.jpg
fabrics2.jpg
bargello.jpg
Old 09-19-2021, 07:47 PM

I've never made a bargello quilt, but to my eye, these fabrics look very nice. I can see why you would be inspired by that terrific quilt. Good luck.

Leslie
Old 09-19-2021, 09:44 PM

I think it will be beautiful! I have just made Bargello runners but I love the process. I have been wanting to make this pattern also, but I have to get it first-lol-I will be anxious to see your finish.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:19 AM
Power Poster

The first dark blue on the left sort of "stood out" to me -

Perhaps rearrange/rotate the fabrics - like what happens when one makes a bargello - to see how the fabrics play together when they are "moved"

(I know what I mean with that last sentence, but it definitely reads awkwardly. Maybe someone can help me/us out?)
Old 09-20-2021, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

It will be gorgeous!
Old 09-20-2021, 05:07 AM

looks great to me!
Old 09-20-2021, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
The first dark blue on the left sort of "stood out" to me -

Perhaps rearrange/rotate the fabrics - like what happens when one makes a bargello - to see how the fabrics play together when they are "moved"

(I know what I mean with that last sentence, but it definitely reads awkwardly. Maybe someone can help me/us out?)
I understand what you mean! I already have quite a few pictures on my phone of various swaps with regard to fabric placement. That fabric is just outside of the other darker blues (it has black in it). I'm actually thinking of another blue that I think I have at home that is dark - but I think more inline with the other dark blues. I'll have to do some switching around. I know that I had one of the greens that I thought was in the right place, but just for grins switched it with a different fabric - and immediately I was like YES! The 2nd fabric is the one that really belongs here.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:07 AM

Your inspiration photo and fabrics seem to work.
Then it gets into personal preferrence. I'd like more value contrast. Someone else said the dark stands out.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:55 PM

I think you are going to be fine with that particular pattern, as it is waves and does not intertwine. So even though your blues look very similar, it won't "muddle" the design. When I look at your thumbnail pictures without my computer glasses on, I can only count 12 different colors changes. It can give very subtle shading and sometimes that it can be too subtle for the design.

One of my biggest mistakes when pulling fabric (and embroidery thread) is having colors that are too close together, so when you back up a bit, you end up losing some of the pattern because of it.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Wow, that's going to be a gorgeous quilt!