Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bargello fabric colors - how do these look? >

Bargello fabric colors - how do these look?

Bargello fabric colors - how do these look?

Old 09-21-2021, 04:43 AM

I've seen bargello quilts made with fabrics which had little contrast. All that work didn't show up in the final quilt. I think your choices have enough contrast and will work well. I can't wait to see your quilt!
Old 09-21-2021, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I think you are going to be fine with that particular pattern, as it is waves and does not intertwine. So even though your blues look very similar, it won't "muddle" the design. When I look at your thumbnail pictures without my computer glasses on, I can only count 12 different colors changes. It can give very subtle shading and sometimes that it can be too subtle for the design.

One of my biggest mistakes when pulling fabric (and embroidery thread) is having colors that are too close together, so when you back up a bit, you end up losing some of the pattern because of it.
Interesting, I did as you said you did (backed up and looked for the color changes). I come up with 12 changes also, didn't think to look at it that way. I'm hoping this will be okay with this particular pattern, as you said. I thought it wasn't as hard picking the fabric as I thought it was going to be, but that said - I have scoured the blues and greens from the 2 biggest quilt shops I have access to (and one of those was an hour away). At the 2nd quilt shop, I ended up making 5 color changes. I have one more small shop I want to pop into before I do any cutting. Funny, when I first saw a bargello quilt and looked at the process, I said that is not for me, I will never do one of those! Yet it has kept calling my name to try.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:18 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing this quilt!
Old 09-22-2021, 05:51 AM

Those are my favorite fabrics
Old 09-22-2021, 06:06 AM

Thanks for sharing. As soon as the garden freezes I must get busy.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

I love Bargello quilts and have made many. One thing that has helped me is when I think I have the colors right I fold them and overlap them in the order I think they will be into 1-2”;strips, lined up so I can see how they actually look in the order of the pattern. Then you can see if something is too light, too bright, too….whatever. When you are pleased with the (run) label everything. The most important step to a successful Bargello is organization - label everything- I use numbers and letters keeping things in order. It’s really easy to turn something wrong, pick up the wrong strip or reverse something. Your quilt will be beautiful!