Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I found the Ruby on several sites. It is mid 1890s with a vertical shuttle and the funny tension thing on the top. What am I getting into??

My car is a full size Buick LeSabre Limited with a huge trunk. I may have passengers. My daughter and my two grandsons are riding with me, but I suspect her husband will pull a vacation day at the last minute and I'll be alone. Not good because of some physical disabilities, but I'll not miss this wedding, so it's whatever.
A flat head - don't have many of those these days, but I can find one.
I got a Singer treadle in the trunk of my Buick LeSabre without taking it apart. I don't think you will have a problem, but I have not seen what you want to bring home, either!!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM

[quote=Kathie S.]
Originally Posted by Lostn51[ It is a friendly laid back place to hang out and I want everyone to feel like family.
Billy[/quote
Not only that Billy, but, this shop is family as well as an educational place. This is a very kind and caring place to be. This is a wonderful place to be and I thank you and everyone else here. Kathie
Here! Here!!!! Every contributor on the site has become a 'good friend' and an excellent source of wisdom! Oh, and all ya'all know a LOT about sewing machines too! ;-)
Old 03-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
That is really unique that it has a friction drive motor on the machine and it has the Singer badge on it. Normally you would have the belt driven motors on the machine since the handwheel has the provisions for it. Makes me think this was a "Dealer installed item".

Singer were first using electric motors on their machines in 1898. Billy
Billy.... is there a source document about the first electric motors/Singers etc? I'd like to print it out of my FIL who's a retired technician/engineer who didn't believe me when I said that sewing machines were first electrifed prior to 1900... I don't know enough about it, to be able to give facts... so of course, I couldn't back up my statement...
Old 03-14-2011, 07:06 PM

[I got a Singer treadle in the trunk of my Buick LeSabre without taking it apart. I don't think you will have a problem, but I have not seen what you want to bring home, either!![/quote]

sew wishful, here is the cabinet. The machine isn't pictured, but the write up indicates there is a 1900 New Home Ruby inside. I haven't called yet. I'm waffling today - I guess I'm not a good collector yet. I will decide Wednesday. The Ruby is a smaller machine. The cabinet doesn't look huge.

1900s New Home Ruby on CL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169995[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-169990.jpe  
Old 03-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Grandmother23, (re the machine that another poster helped you with)....

Love that cabinet. That's the 42 deluxe library, I believe. They didn't make many where the right size folds DOWN. Mostly, I've seen them where both sides open up to horizontal surfaces.

I like the drop down ones, cause then the cab. fits into the only available wall space I have in my sewing room! lol.

Mine Deluxe Library holds a 66-6... which 66 is yours?

Beautiful!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
[I got a Singer treadle in the trunk of my Buick LeSabre without taking it apart. I don't think you will have a problem, but I have not seen what you want to bring home, either!!
sew wishful, here is the cabinet. The machine isn't pictured, but the write up indicates there is a 1900 New Home Ruby inside. I haven't called yet. I'm waffling today - I guess I'm not a good collector yet. I will decide Wednesday. The Ruby is a smaller machine. The cabinet doesn't look huge.[/quote]

I don't think you will have a problem. Do you have someone or two people who can put it in for you? (Cabinet towards the back seat and leg irons toward the tail lights.) DH and I took mine out ourselves. REally not that heavy....or when there is a will there is a way!!! :lol:
Old 03-14-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by nett2
You may be right Billy. On the wheel it looks like there's a place for one of the treadle belts but at the same time it's in a case that has a top that looks like a mailbox. Do the 66 models have a bobbin that drops in without a removeable case?
I was on a site last night that ask a lot of questions and according to the answers it told me it was a 1910 model 15 (I can't find the darn site again) but today I find a site for serial #'s that says it's a 1920 and maybe a 66. I also found a site that said the 15 wasn't made after 1898. How can a person know for sure what we have?
How do you change the stitch length?
The Singer 66 has a drop in bobbin , not a removable bobbin case like the Singer 15s.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Irishrose, I am loving that cabinet. You need to go and at least look at it (cough...enabler ) :oops: You can always say you'll think about it and then run like the dickens to your car and never look back.

Or it might be the sewing machine that you've been dreaming of... it's an adventure either way.

We'll be thinking of you as you drive to the wedding. Is it this Saturday??

Judy
Old 03-14-2011, 07:30 PM

Hope that doesn't happen to me. Didn't know one could be blackballed...
Old 03-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well I am very proud of myself tonight. I have been sewing all day! I finished the wonky blue quilt I had started quilting and putting together last fall. I pieced those blocks with my Mother's 1952 Pfaff 130, I quilted the blocks - quilt as you go method - with my Singer 15-88 treadle, I made the binding with my Free Sewing Machine Co. treadle from 1913, I sewed the binding on the quilt with my 1886 Vertical Feed Davis "Betty," and I finished attaching the binding on the back with my 1976, 1222E Pfaff! The last thing I am going to do is put my initials on the quilt with my 1961, 503A Rocketeer!

This is the first quilt I have put binding on with the Davis Vertical Feed! What a blast that was! She actually works!

Nancy

Oh that is Tarzan the Man, my 3.5 pound chihuahua!
I love the quilt and I dont think I would mess with Tarzan he looks like he would tear your head off if you messed with his quilt!!

Bily