Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SherriB
Can anyone tell me about my new baby? I found it for $5.00 at Salvation Army today. It is in excellent condition, has ALL the cams and feet, some still in original paper wrapping!!!
What a cute machine! The cams are so funny. They look like different colored baby pacifiers.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by quilt addict
Alright, I think I am working on another convert. Or maybe my sister just likes to get me to spend some money. She found a CL listing near her home. Ends up that it is some guy that couldn't tell me what he had when I called. But said they would be cheap. So found his house in the country. I beat him home but he was on the way, I could see the dust cloud on the road. So he opens the door on an outbuilding. Says I gotta move the bikes out of the way. Two very nice older Harley choppers. One he was still buidling the engine. I thought of Billy immediately.

Oh well there are stacks of stuff he says he has to move to get to the machines. I see one cabinet and one singer clone naked so I asked how many? He says he has 5 machines, $20 each or take them all for $50. Well, what do you think I did????? You're right. I now own, a Standard model , Kenmore crinkle finish angular one - taken out of the cabinet as all the legs were broken off, a blue and white something from the 60's I think, a newer plastic singer in a cabinet that is going directly to Goodwill, aaaannnnddddd a very nice Singer 503 with a box of cams.

Sorry, no pictures until I get back home to download off my camera......Did I do good?

Billy, sorry I didn't have the camera with me to take a picture of the bikes.
Lisa I really love how you can do this. You and I are the only ones I know that can fall off into something like this and come out smelling like a rose!!! You did AWESOME!!!!

I guess you can slide on the photos of the bikes but I have to see the machines!!!

Something tells me when I get out there to you Lisa your going to open up your garage door and it will be like that barn full of machines and goodies!! It will feel like an episode of "Pickers" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
The last "Pickers" episode I watched Mike found a locomotive motion lamp and it was sitting on a treadle machine and they didn't even look at the machine. I recall yelling at the TV but I can't repeat what I said.......
Old 08-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

OK so I responded to an add on the slantomatic. The lady send me the pictures and I was fully expecting a 500 series one but it is a 403 in cabinet. It has some feet and cams and is in running order because she has pictures of the different stitching from the cams. It looks in good shape but asking price is $125 or so and it is far away for me. I think of passing it and holding out for a 500 or 500A or am I missing out on something if I do? Anna
Old 08-05-2010, 05:40 PM

All right, there's been many treadles made into coffee tables etc. but this one is just "wrong".

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/1883224678.html

And what a bargain, too. :thumbdown:
Old 08-05-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
This came with it and I have no idea what it is used for.
A tiny little Samurai sword?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
All right, there's been many treadles made into coffee tables etc. but this one is just "wrong".

All I can say is that there are some really sick people out there.....must be the alien body snatchers at work.....

Darcene
Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
OK so I responded to an add on the slantomatic. The lady send me the pictures and I was fully expecting a 500 series one but it is a 403 in cabinet. It has some feet and cams and is in running order because she has pictures of the different stitching from the cams. It looks in good shape but asking price is $125 or so and it is far away for me. I think of passing it and holding out for a 500 or 500A or am I missing out on something if I do? Anna
Some people prefer the 400 series to the 500, sometimes simply because of the style of the machine itself, or because the front and top doors are less likely to come off .
I prefer the 403 to the 401, because there are less levers to push/pull/ hang from etc. The simpler the better for me!!
If the machine has all its attachments, etc. and is in good condition and has been cleaned, oiled and adjusted, that doesn't sound like a bad price to me--I have sold them for that much. However, if parts or attachments are missing or the machine is scratched and dirty, I wouldn't pay that much.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:02 PM

I saw something much the same in Ky, only thay had plastic flowers under the glass. My wife said the same- they must be sick to do something like this. Glenn
Old 08-05-2010, 06:03 PM

You're going to have to explain that one to me--slowly and carefully. I think I just had a stroke.
What in the world is on top of the aquarium? A roll-top????
Ouch--another TIA.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

You're going to have to explain that one to me--slowly and carefully. I think I just had a stroke.
What in the world is on top of the aquarium? A roll-top????
Ouch--another TIA.
LOL!