Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Today at a flea market I finally saw a Featherweight in person. Gosh! I couldn't believe how tiny it was... I had thought I would try to find one as a portable machine, but now I don't want one! I would need something a little larger or I'd feel like I was working on a toy. What would be a good little portable-- the Singer 99? I know they aren't the best sewers of the older Singers, but aren't they a 3/4 size machine? How heavy are they?
The 99 is a 3/4 size machine - so is the Spartan. Both have a really nice stitch, but they are heavy all metal machines. The FW is very light and sews like a dream. I'd hold out for the FW!

Nancy
Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 PM

And for the person who said "Buy your neighbor's house", I have a friend who has done just that. AND she has them stacked 2-3 high in the basement!!!!!!![/quote]

You are not talking about Cindy P. are you??
Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
I agree, the 301 is a wonderful small portable machine, I posted about my ELNA because I 'm using it a lot recently, but I have 301s, too and I love them as well. Just kind of slipped my mind , i guess. :-)
I think that's going to be my next "looking for." My Elna Supramatic is surprisingly heavy, but then the steel case weighs in too. Maybe I should start using it for lifting weights and build up some muscles!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 PM

That little Elna looks cute. I am learning sew much reading this thread! I do like my FW for classses.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:23 PM

My 301A did a day's work today. She sews so well, except once the stitches got wonky. I told her she'd join the Kenmore in the corner if that continued. Tension was always an issue with that one. I got it adjusted. I hope it was a fluke because she's got to FMQ later this week and the quilt's going to a silent auction. Why did I agree to that???

Billy, I'll PM you. I have too much to do this week to chase a little rubber ring.

My 1974 (still vintage) Elna Star sews better, but I can sew straighter on the 301 for various reasons.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:28 PM

I was bidding on a Lotus on Ebay last week. I had bid $65, then kind of forgot about it. It sold for over $600. Yikes.!!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Billy, I will be trying some of your ideas for removing rust on all of these parts I got today for 2.00. I don't know what machines they go on but I can practice cleaning on them. Also a photo of the 501a that I got today for $10. It runs, but haven't tried it with thread in it yet. I figured it would be good to use for Billy's tutorial on whatever he's going to do using a 501a. (The attachment box says part for a 403, but the manual says 500 series) It has quite a bit of chips on the paint and really needs a good cleaning, and needs a new faceplate, since the current one is broken out at the top pin. (Download)
501a (it's parts are in another photo)

(Download)
The Free Westinghouse in need of love

(Download)

Also a photo of an old Free Westinghouse that I saw today, it's in a cabinet with what I think you call a potted motor. It was very, very stiff, but the wheel did turn and the needle bar went up and down. The screw was off of the stitch regulator, but was in the drawer . . .I couldn't get it on. It is EXTREMELY dirty and was not plugged in. It is in a VERY rough cabinet. Serial # is ARE 62947. She has it priced at $30. Not very pretty but am interested in any info anyone may have about it. The Sewing Machine Search Train leaves early tomorrow morning. Have a good weekend! luv2learn
Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi, I also think the featherweights are kind of tiny, but that's what makes them so cute! I have what I think is the greatest "little" machine. Weighs very little. I transport it everywhere and it sews like a dream. It's an ELNA Tsp lotus. It has flaps that fold up on 3 sides to serve as it's carrying case and they fold down as a sewing table when you use it. It has straight stitch as well as reverse, zig -zag, and the coolest little retractable bobbin retriever that pulls down to stick in the bobbin hole and lift it out. Love, love , love this machine, also much less expensive than a Singer featherweight. I do, however love my Singers, too, especially my 201-2, but it weighs 10, 000 pounds! :-) I put my iron in the photo so you can see the size comparison.
Interesting, JaneK-- I've never seen that machine before! Thank you for the photos and description. I always like to read what machine people love, and why.

I had heard the 201 weighed a TON, but when I bought this one I removed the 'head' from the cabinet to transport it home safely. I was surprised that it didn't weigh more, after all I've read. It's around 40 lbs. I tote heavy weight plates around the gym, so this felt like nothing to me. The head did weigh more than the treadle base table it was installed in, tho. But either piece I could easily move myself.

My 201 was built in 1950, and not many years later they began making them out of aluminum, to address the weight issue. I'm glad I was able to get an iron one.

I have a Bernina Record 830 that I can carry around as a portable. I just was wondering about the Singer 99s...
Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I got blessed Friday in finding a 201 with nice cabinet for very cheap-- $60! All it really needs is the cord changed out, as I can see some exposed wire near the machine plug in, although it works fine right now. Of course it needs lots of penetrant and then new oil to get it moving smoothly again. But what a find!

Today at a flea market I finally saw a Featherweight in person. Gosh! I couldn't believe how tiny it was... I had thought I would try to find one as a portable machine, but now I don't want one! I would need something a little larger or I'd feel like I was working on a toy. What would be a good little portable-- the Singer 99? I know they aren't the best sewers of the older Singers, but aren't they a 3/4 size machine? How heavy are they?
My choice for portability would be the Singer 301. It is a little larger than the Featherweight, has a carry handle built in and only weighs 16 lbs. sews like a dream. The feed dogs also drop for FMQ.. :thumbup:
Cool... that's another model I am interested in. Probably sews better than a 99, too. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:31 AM

The Singer 99 sews a fine stitch as do the majority of the old Singer straight stitchers. I have a nice one that will soon be powered by hand crank for my grand daughters. I bought my 99K at the local antique consignment store for $75 haggled down from $110 as there was no footpedal or cords, its in very good condition. It came with a 220 volt singer motor, it came off as soon as I got it home. I tried the hand crank from my Singer 201k & it works perfectly. I'm quite sure that it was originally a hand cranked machine as the case top fits perfectly with the hand crank still attached to the machine.
Sharon W.

1923 Singer 99K
[ATTACH=CONFIG]139707[/ATTACH]

bent wood case for 99K
[ATTACH=CONFIG]139733[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-139702.jpe   attachment-139728.jpe