Carpal tunnel surgery

Old 06-29-2010, 06:25 AM

I have surgery scheduled for July 8th. Both wrists. Has anyone had both done at the same time? Am I crazy for even considering this? I've had it on and off for years. When I started working retail in Dec 09 it become an everyday occurance. Now lately, I'm constantly in pain. I wake up several times at night with it. 2 days ago I worked open to close (8:30 am - 8:30pm) and when I went to work yesterday I was in so much pain.
I do have someone to help me after surgery. My husband gets that honor! :lol:
Old 06-29-2010, 06:35 AM

hopefully your having the indoscopic (sp) doesn't hurt as much but you will probably have to wear a brace for a week which makes it hard to do things that are very personal. rofl, hope ya'll are VERY close.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 AM

My bro in law, had both a few years back, and my daughter had 1 hand done last year(16yr). You will feel better soon, and will have hand therapy to do! I will have mine done in Nov. I also keep putting it off! Prayers to you!!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:02 AM

Ummm, yes, i agree with Kathy. My SIL had both wrists done at the same time years ago, and wasn't married. She said the worst part was wiping her............... Things MAY have improved a lot since then. Ask the doctor how long you'll have your wrists in braces.....Good luck!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Pam

Go to the dollar store and buy a wooden spoon for ahemmm....
Wrap toilet paper around it and you will have a handy dandy
personal cleaner. Don't forget to dispose of it once you are feeling up to par. Good luck with your surgery, hope all goes well.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Kathy also. It depends if they are doing endoscopic. I had to have the open cut and there is no way I could have done both at the same time. I had a lot of pain. I had nerve damage and still have numbness in some of my fingers. It was in the hard cast for two weeks, and then in a brace for about two more weeks. I lost my husband 1 1/2 years ago, and I would have been in big trouble doing both. I do know people who have had both done at the same time and they did fine, but they had husbands, or a home health nurse to help them.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Good Luck ! My SIL had one done was in a brace for a week and never looked back :lol: Hope you have the same speedy recovery :thumbup: Keep us posted
Old 06-29-2010, 07:56 AM

Hubby is very well aware that he has to wipe my derrière! He's already joking about how he is torture me. :lol: So the day before surgery I'm going to make sure I eat a dozen eggs. :twisted:
It is endosopic. I was hoping I would be able to travel (fly) during the second week of recovery to go see my mom (she's going thru chemo and is having a hard time). I might have to wait until week 3 to do that.
Thanks for all the well wishes!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 AM

I 've had the surgery twice on my right hand. Therapy after surgery was the best thing for me.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:08 AM

I really would reconsider having both wrists done at the same time. I had one done at a time, each one followed by 6 weeks of hand therapy. I had one done, and then four months later had the other one done.

Not to get too graphic here...but the most personal of things will be impossible for you to do with the surgical hand.

You will not be able to use the surgical hand to do ANYTHING for a while. Once it starts to heal, it will still be difficult to do things that require two hands, like hooking a bra for example.

Feel free to PM me.

I'm glad you will be getting this taken care of. I suffered for many years, and nearly waited too long. You can suffer permanent nerve damage if you wait too long.