Carpal tunnel surgery

Old 06-29-2010, 08:12 AM

I have no input on the surgery itself, however, while you're in therapy, ask for ideas that quilters can use to help prevent carpal tunnel...then pass on the exercises to all on the board. Folks who quilt, especially hand quilt, on a regular basis can develop CT from that and regular breaks with exercises during quilting sessions can keep everyone healthy. If anyone has taken classes from Larkin Van Horn you have done the exercises that she does, since she regularly has the class take an exercise break.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 AM

Good Luck and have a speedy recovery!!! :D :D
Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

As long as DH is willing to get really up close and personal with helping you :wink: you should be fine.

Regarding the trip, you may need to play it by ear, unless DH is going along with you :D:D:D

Just be sure and follow the after care orders, and I bet you will be very happy you went through with the surgery :D:D:D
Old 06-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

As long as there is someone ( Dear Hubby) willing to do what is necessary I would do them both at once and get it over with. It will be hard for a while but when you heal it will all be done.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice. I think I will stick with gettting them done together. It will save me money (2 copays) and time off of work. I'm also going to plan to go to alabama 10 days after surgery without hubby to see my mother. My twin lives there so if I need any help she will help me. My mother is down to about 90lbs and shes having a hard time eatting. She is just so nauseous all the time and all she wants to do is sleep. She's going thru chemo for breast cancer. I'm also considering totally forgetting about the surgery and go down on the 8th - although if I had the ability I would be down there right now.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:11 PM

My husband had both of them done at the same time; when he came home I helped him into the bathroom and shut the door. Then I went outside to pick rhubarb; he was "locked" in the bathroom for about 1/2 hour. Once you get to unwrap your hands a little, it will get better. I had one wrist done; glad I did it! Gook luck and have a speedy recovery.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

Aw, good luck! Hope your feeling better SOON!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM

I had both hands done in 1999. My dr. had to cut both hands through the palms. I am not sure if that makes a difference in recovery or not. I could not use my hands for almost a week. My poor DH and Mom had to feed me, bathe and dress me and assist to the bathroom!!!Ugh!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: Thankfully mother nature was nice to me in the toileting area. :oops: :oops: I did regain use of my hands in little over a week. And went back to work in 6 weeks.

DH's mamaw passed away the day after my surgery. We went to my MIL's (it was her Mom) to visit with the family and friends. Both hands were bandaged and she told someone I had tried to slit my wrists!!!! I almost died from embarrassment. Even though she told them the truth, they still looked at me funny.

Then for the furneral, I insisted on wearing pantyhose with my dress. DH had to put them on me. He tried and struggled and finally got them on. I can still remember that! Looking back, we now laugh at how funny it was. DH says he should have insisted on knee highs!! LOL!!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:43 PM

SherriB, I couldn't help but chuckle about the panty hose. I could imagine the struggle. Thank you for that. I've been in a pretty bad way all day.
I'm sorry to hear about your mamaw passing.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:01 PM

I hope there is a new kind of surgery for ct. My Fr said they would only do one at a time as you will need the other one for when you are using the rest room. Get my drift? I haven't heard of anyone having both done at the same time.