Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 430 BSR question >

Bernina 430 BSR question

Bernina 430 BSR question

Old 07-03-2010, 05:56 PM

Hi Everybody! Happy 4th of July (tomorrow)!
OK, here's the poop. I have a 2 year old Bernina 430 which is new to me (bought from a private party) and it came with a bsr AND the embroidery module. The original owner bought it, took the classes, then decided she didn't like sewing so she put it back in the original boxes and into a closet for a couple of years. I am so thankful I was able to give it a good home!
The thing is, I have been trying to practice with the BSR but it only will work in Mode 2. I am wondering if I need a computer patch, upgrade or something. I cannot get it to go into Mode 1 at all. Of course I know I need to take it to my local Bernina wizard but I was curious to see if any of you knew why because you guys know everything! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Heidi
Old 07-03-2010, 06:31 PM

Are you pressing the start button and holding it for a second or two? You can't just press the button, you need to hold it for a bit.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:42 PM

I rec'd a DVD with my 430, it's been very helpful. I had to refer to it for the #1 or #2. I can't remember at the moment the difference between the modes...possible check the Bernina USA web site or You tube, it has demos of most everything!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:43 PM

Hi Candice. Thank you so much for your input. Well I went in and turned it on, held the start/stop button for a couple of seconds and nothing. Then turned it off and on again and held the scales button and it just went into mode 2, retried holding the start/stop again but it just stays at mode 2.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by jhoward
I rec'd a DVD with my 430, it's been very helpful. I had to refer to it for the #1 or #2. I can't remember at the moment the difference between the modes...possible check the Bernina USA web site or You tube, it has demos of most everything!
Boy J, I never thought to look on you tube. Thank you! I'm on my way!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Don't you have to select Mode 1? Then hold the start button.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 PM

1. Lower feed dogs
2. Attach BSR foot to sewing machine.
3. Insert BSR plug into green socket.

The BSR symbol will appear on left side of display screen, foot icon will show foot #42 (BSR).

4. Press BSR/Balance button. Mode 1 or 2 will be selected (which ever was used last).
5. Select mode 1 or 2 by pressing appropriate number on screen.
6. Activate BSR and start stitching by stepping on foot control, or by unplugging the foot control and pushing the the start stop button. (A red light in foot will glow when machine is run in BSR mode.

When you are in Mode 1 there is constant power to need whenever you have the foot control pushed or you have pushed the start/stop button. The needle will move up and down slowly when you stop moving the fabric (until you take your foot off the pedal).

Hope this helps you get your machine going in Mode 1. However the only difference is that in Mode 2 the motor is engaged only when the fabric is moved under the foot. I like mode 1 if I have a bigger/heavier quilt on the machine. That way if a heavy part of the quilt falls off the machine....well....the needle goes up and down when the fabric moves and you can get some unauthorized quilting done before you get it stopped. LOL
Old 07-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Well Candice that's just it....it never says Mode 1 to be able to select it. Here's what I do: turn it on, press the scales/bsr button (because the bsr is flashing on the screen) and bingo-right into Mode 2. Can't use it if the foot peddle is plugged in-of course. I really am thinking I'm needing a driver. The video wasn't any help neither was Bernina.com. I can still practice with it until I can make it to the dealer. Mode 1 was just something I wanted to try.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:48 PM

Try plugging the foot control in and see if it gives you a Mode 1 option. I can't remember how I did it with my 440 (I now have a 730), but can you push on the area or the button below the area that it says mode 2 and get it to change? Like push the scale button a second time? As it says in my previous message, if it was turned off in mode 2 the last time it was used, that is where it would be set when it comes back on.

Good luck. The results of your FMQ don't change much with the different modes, just the amount of control you have with stopping and starting.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:14 PM

Yahoo!! I did it! I'm not really sure how but I ran out of bobbin, fixed that, got back up to running, pushed the #1 stitch button and there it was Mode 1. Gonna run and try it again then write myself a big note and see if I can do it again in the morning. Thank you guys for all your help!