Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Used Bernina 440 QE with BSR or Bernina 530 without?

Used Bernina 440 QE with BSR or Bernina 530 without?

I am so confused! In addition to garment sewing (handbags-some in leather) I do mostly free motion quilted wall pieces. The 440QE comes with the stitch regulator which I am lusting after since I do alot of intricate stitching plus other accessories from a previous owner for $1,500. The 530 is newer has no stitch regulator and is selling new from a dealer in the pretty much the same location-two hours from me for $1,999. The BSR will add several hundred $$ to that price. Or they have a used 730 (no warranty from that dealer) with BSR for $2,200.
    I have been looking at the features on the web site but honestly I I can't get a clear idea of the differences. The 440 has less than 100 sewing hours and I have seen the most recent service record.
    The machine I am using now is a Pfaff Performance 5.0 so it is not that old but unfortunately the stitch quality on light weight leather is so poor and so has much trouble even seaming leather I can't trust it. I tried a 560 with no alterations at another dealer and the stitches on my practice leather handle made me want to refinance my house!

The 730 was discontinued a few years ago so getting parts will become harder. It does have a larger space to the right of the needle (I think it may be 10"). The 440 only has 7.5" to the right so it is a tighter squeeze for FMQ. I have a 740 with BSR. I'm not a mad fan of the BSR. I feel like I do better when I FMQ without it. It just takes more practice.

Berninas are wonderful machines. I've had three and the stitch quality can't be beat. Good luck with your decision!
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

I have the 440 and used the BSR until I got a longarm. I loved it. But I don't know anything about the 530, and I haven't tried sewing through leather with the 440. Would a vintage machine be better for that purpose? Some of them were made for tougher jobs like that.

If you are sewing leather, you might want to consider an industrial straight sewing machine that is made for sewing leather. . Or eight layers of denim I have heard the Janome has a machine for that. I have a 550 Bernina and dh uses that to make his kilts more than I use it to sew on. I do not quilt my quilt tops or blocks...maybe some day. I still use my 1530 inspire Bernina because I love it. (It was acquired new in 1999 and is still going!)

I have the 440 with the BSR and it is a great machine. I went to a Bernina shop last summer because of some water that dripped from the ceiling into my machine. It was making a funny noise. When I got to the dealer it had dried out and no more noise. The dealer told me it was a great machine.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I have a 440QE and when a service tech was at my house for a service call on my longarm he asked me how I like the 440QE. Told him I loved it. He said their store use to sell Berninas and they thought the 440QE was one of the best machines Bernina ever made. Don't know anything about the 530.