Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 10-15-2010, 09:12 AM

Kriscraft, that is beautiful. Your applique is great. So creative.

Can we hold off on the reverse applique until after the first? I'm leaving to go on a retreat wednesday, and can't get around to anything else until the first of the month.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 AM

I'm dying to learn machine applique. I don't really have an interest in hand stitching anything. I gave up needlepoint and cross stitch because my hands are bothering me so I'm not likely to take up another hand stitching hobby. LOL. I'd also like to get into paper piecing.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:23 AM

anybody have tips on how to get the nice edging for machine applique? my machine doesn't like to do such a solid outline, etc. Perhaps I have to change the adjustments for tension, etc. more?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:56 PM

Bonni do you have an adjustable zig zag? I set mine at 2.0 and .32, and I get a real nice satin stitch, but, you have to watch that it doesn't get stuck with such a short distance, it can build up quite a thickness, and really fast.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
Bonni do you have an adjustable zig zag? I set mine at 2.0 and .32, and I get a real nice satin stitch, but, you have to watch that it doesn't get stuck with such a short distance, it can build up quite a thickness, and really fast.
I'll try that Kwiltkrazy. Perhaps this weekend I can try something and see how it goes. I love the look of satin stitch and might do more machine embroidery if I can master that. I also need to remember to put a stabilizer on it. Somebody (Susz perhaps?) said that would help. What do people use for that?
Old 10-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Suz

I may have suggested this before, so bare with me if I did. When satin stitching, you may get your best results if you go around twice. Also, choose a presser foot that had a flat groove on the bottom of the foot that allows the stitching to pass under the without disturbing the stitching. Suz
Old 10-15-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Suz
I may have suggested this before, so bare with me if I did. When satin stitching, you may get your best results if you go around twice. Also, choose a presser foot that had a flat groove on the bottom of the foot that allows the stitching to pass under the without disturbing the stitching. Suz
Hmm. ok. i will try going around twice but not sure on the last part. I will have to look through my feet and see what i have.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:31 AM

I am late in reading this thread, great posts of advise here. I have dabbled in applique but after the holidays I am ready to really tackle a applique-would love to do a sampler type quilt of applique.
Thanks Crafty.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:41 AM

[quote=applique][quote=dgm

On the picture project, I can't seem to get flower petal edges that ripple to look nice. I've tried freezer paper/starch, needle turn, back basting and none of them are great. I don't know how to get the petal edge ripples to look good as I'm stitching them down. They seem to bulk up or get too pointy instead of being flowing curves. It's a hump, dip, hump, dip, hump on a small piece of fabric, maybe 1" wide. Then it's combined with 5 others petals with the same edging to create the flower. Any hints here, I would really appreciate...I just can't seem to get it!

It sounds as though you might have more than a quarter inch of fabric to turn under. A quarter inch or even an eigth of an inch is about all that you should have. Otherwise you will need to clip the curves before stitching.
As far as points go, again there would probably be some trimming needed. A tiny perpendicular stitch in the very tip of the point helps keep it where you want it as yo tuck the edge under to stitch the other side. Do just a little at a time, a few stitches then sweep a bit more under.
Not sure if this will help but hope it does.

My machine applique is so much faster and easier on the hands that I have done very little by hand. One of my pieces is waiting for special order fabric for the borders so it can go to the quilter. I don't hand quilt anymore either.[/quote]

Oh My! That is beautiful!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:42 AM

I LOVE machine embroidery applique. But when the design has been washed a few times..the applique piece comes out of the stitching. Does this happen to anyone else? Any hints or tips to keep it from NOT happening??