Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Money Saving Tips for Quilting >

Money Saving Tips for Quilting

Money Saving Tips for Quilting

Old 01-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

I know with the price of fabric going up, many of us will have to be frugal with ourhobbies. I would love to hear all of your tips on saving money on quilting! Please?
Heres my tip....
Trade fabric scraps with friends that also like scrap quilts. Your throw aways could be another quilters treasure!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:23 PM

Buy batting in bulk...it seems expensive but get it on sale...I bought 40 yards for 200.00 when there was a 50 percent off sale. (its still on sale...) I was almost sick from spending that much but....it is a huge savings. I have to remember that I would spend much more than that buying smaller amounts at a time.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 PM

ask for it on freecycle- you never know what you might get and its free
Old 01-18-2011, 03:16 PM

I like to browse thrift shops sometimes, men's shirts make pretty awesome quilts!!

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 01-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Use coupons and the money you save goes to the fabric budget. I found yard sale clothing prices much cheaper then thrift store prices and I buy lots of men's cotton shirts at yard sales. A big church or group yard sale is the best, they want everything sold fast.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Measure twice, cut once! Actually I have had a few laser cut quilts done and that is pretty economical when you consider the time it takes to cut, and if I make a mistake.

I watch at the LQS's for their clearance... and when they add a 20% off when you finish the bolt. These fabrics I use for backings sometimes, or I work them in somehow.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

For myself I would rather spend my time/money/life making 10 GOOD quality quilts vs. spending my time/money/life making a thousand cheap quilts. So I save up for those special things!

for all else (charity work) I do scrappy stuff using up shirts I buy at my thrift store for $.23!

I also buy denim, flannel and wool and re-purpose those items as well!

YOu can save by not buying more magazines and books..take the time to revisit the ones you already have on the shelves!

DO NOT print off every pattern somebody sends a link to..instead, save the file or bookmark the site and then revisit in a year and see if you still like it.

DO NOT buy every template, ruler or notion mentioned at guild, or on this group...instead see if you make what you already work for you..99% of the time you can!

Each time you avoid a "spur of the moment" purchase, log what it was, and how much it was. Then once a month add that up and see what you saved for next GOOD project!

Take a weekend (a long one is best) and make KITS up using magazines, printed off patterns, etc...using only your stash...then when the impulse to shop hits, shop in your kit box! These can be little gifts, home decor, holiday items...just remember, even something small is good!

Make an inventory of what you already have, include the original cost, todays value, and the amount you have on hand. THat alone might keep you from spending any more!

If you do not belong to a guild join one..you will gain more education, more resources by doing so!

Join your local Freecycle and watch for give aways...or ask for them!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

Great tips you guys, and Thanks.
Another one is look for used quilting books and magazines at rummage sales, thrift stores and of course the thriftiest, libray!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:21 PM

At the end of a project, cut up the scraps in sizes you would use for a scrappy quilt. Store in appropriate boxes and shop your stash for the next project.

When collecting for a certain type of quilt, I place the pattern and magazine articles in the collection box. Ideas are present along with pattern (s) considered. I can grab the box and go to work :)
Old 01-18-2011, 05:30 PM

piece scraps of batting together using a zig zag stitch. I just finished two wallhangings this way. it's great for small projects!