Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Money Saving Tips for Quilting >

Money Saving Tips for Quilting

Money Saving Tips for Quilting

Old 01-18-2011, 05:36 PM

oh! just thought of another. I do the lqs's buck a block. I figure I can always find a coordinating fabric for sashing after I've had a little time to save.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
For myself I would rather spend my time/money/life making 10 GOOD quality quilts vs. spending my time/money/life making a thousand cheap quilts. So I save up for those special things!

for all else (charity work) I do scrappy stuff using up shirts I buy at my thrift store for $.23!

I also buy denim, flannel and wool and re-purpose those items as well!

YOu can save by not buying more magazines and books..take the time to revisit the ones you already have on the shelves!

DO NOT print off every pattern somebody sends a link to..instead, save the file or bookmark the site and then revisit in a year and see if you still like it.

DO NOT buy every template, ruler or notion mentioned at guild, or on this group...instead see if you make what you already work for you..99% of the time you can!

Each time you avoid a "spur of the moment" purchase, log what it was, and how much it was. Then once a month add that up and see what you saved for next GOOD project!

Take a weekend (a long one is best) and make KITS up using magazines, printed off patterns, etc...using only your stash...then when the impulse to shop hits, shop in your kit box! These can be little gifts, home decor, holiday items...just remember, even something small is good!

Make an inventory of what you already have, include the original cost, todays value, and the amount you have on hand. THat alone might keep you from spending any more!

If you do not belong to a guild join one..you will gain more education, more resources by doing so!

Join your local Freecycle and watch for give aways...or ask for them!
These are great tips!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Banned

just thought of another one..that I have been doing all week..

UNSUBSCRIBE! I have unsubbed from every online quilt shop newsletter....if they have a sale..yeah for them....
I do NOT need to keep buying it just because it was on sale..even if fabric goes to $15 yd in the next 2 years....

I also wanted to add that when it comes to saving files, I have folders labeled, king, queen, twin, throw, wall hanging, decor, holiday

then when I want a certain project I know where the file/link is!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
For myself I would rather spend my time/money/life making 10 GOOD quality quilts vs. spending my time/money/life making a thousand cheap quilts. So I save up for those special things!

for all else (charity work) I do scrappy stuff using up shirts I buy at my thrift store for $.23!

I also buy denim, flannel and wool and re-purpose those items as well!

YOu can save by not buying more magazines and books..take the time to revisit the ones you already have on the shelves!

DO NOT print off every pattern somebody sends a link to..instead, save the file or bookmark the site and then revisit in a year and see if you still like it.

DO NOT buy every template, ruler or notion mentioned at guild, or on this group...instead see if you make what you already work for you..99% of the time you can!

Each time you avoid a "spur of the moment" purchase, log what it was, and how much it was. Then once a month add that up and see what you saved for next GOOD project!

Take a weekend (a long one is best) and make KITS up using magazines, printed off patterns, etc...using only your stash...then when the impulse to shop hits, shop in your kit box! These can be little gifts, home decor, holiday items...just remember, even something small is good!

Make an inventory of what you already have, include the original cost, todays value, and the amount you have on hand. THat alone might keep you from spending any more!

If you do not belong to a guild join one..you will gain more education, more resources by doing so!

Join your local Freecycle and watch for give aways...or ask for them!
Shirts at the thrift store for .23 cents???? Wow! I think our thrift store doesn't know any price below $3.00. Went to look for sheets for backing and the worst ones were $5.00!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 PM

What is "freecycle"?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaLynn
What is "freecycle"?
Freecycle is a group through the web for people who want to recycle their items, not put them in the garbage pile or landfill. They post like we do here that they have items available for pick up.

The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,903 groups with 8,059,633 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns and thus keeping good stuff out of landfills.

Membership is free, and everything posted must be FREE, legal and appropriate for all ages. To view the items being given away or sought in Clovis-Portales-Cannon, you must be a member of the local group. To view the local group posts, visit the local Yahoo Group where they are located by clicking on the link below.

If you are already a member, you may use the "Post" tab on the top right of this page to make your post to the local group. Otherwise, go to the Yahoo Group linked to below and click on "Join" first in order to view the posts. Thanks so much and have fun!

http://www.freecycle.org/
Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 PM
RST

I think of my fabric purchasing strategies a lot like wardrobe strategies. You know how they suggest used to suggest that for suits and shoes, you have a core color, be it black or navy or brown or ivory, and then buy coordinating colors in blouses and shirts? Well, that was the advice back in the day when I dressed for a professional job every day.

So I have just a couple of core neutral colors I use, and buy in large quantities -- a true white, a true black and a certain brown I really like. I may be tempted by gray or white on white, or cream every now and then, but I try to stick with my core, tried and true colors. When I buy new fabrics, I tend to buy things that are going to look good with those. And interestingly, the fabrics that are going to look good with pure white and pure black tend to look good with one another too.

So by limiting your palette, you actually open up a lot of mix and match opportunities, and thereby save money in the long run.

That and never buy mags (web has better stuff) or books (library is free).

RST
Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM

Our local DAV Thrift Store (Disabled Veterans) has a 25 cent sale on Sundays. 25 cents each or 5 for $1.00 for certain colored tags. I go before church each Sunday and I have purchased shirts, skirts, jackets, or bags of scraps for this price.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Banned

FREECYLE.org is a website to give and get items for free to keep them out the landfills as long as possible...it is amazing what you can get...

YES, I have a thrift store that sells things on Fri-Tues for $.23 I used to feel bad about buying all those clothes and cutting them up, then one day the lady told me not to. Reason, those clothes are there for 3 months before they hit the clearance corner, if someone did not buy before that, then it is mine to do with what I please and guilt free!

I have a garage full of clothes to cut up still! Need to work on that soon!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Power Poster

Wow, such GREAT tips everyone!
I think Craigslist has a Free area too, but I dont know if you could posted WANTED ads there. I have bought some scraps off a lady from Craigslist...was so fun digging through her scraps.