Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Money Saving Tips for Quilting >

Money Saving Tips for Quilting

Money Saving Tips for Quilting

Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 AM

What is a Freecycle. Haven't heard of it.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Fran, just scroll up and read, a couple of ladies expalined it. Sounds like a nice website!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
Buy batting in bulk...it seems expensive but get it on sale...I bought 40 yards for 200.00 when there was a 50 percent off sale. (its still on sale...) I was almost sick from spending that much but....it is a huge savings. I have to remember that I would spend much more than that buying smaller amounts at a time.
Did that as well one of best moves ever. Will do again when use up, more than half way there.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 AM

at my local guild, everyone brings in fabrics, patterns etc they wont use and we just trade with each other........ works very well and no money is spent
Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 AM

If you have a used book store in your area, check it out, we have one that is about 70 miles away, but always check it when I get to that town.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

the guild sounds nice...love to trade!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:53 AM

Thrift stores are a good place to pick up bed skirts, window valances/curtains and pillow shams. These often have little or no wear and sometimes have brightly colored juvenile prints, just be sure the fabric is cotton. On occasion I've bought scrub tops with little wear at yard sales and used the backs of those in quilt tops. Again, be sure the fabric is cotton.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 AM

u can also buy those $5-10 blankets at walmart or big lots and use them in place of batting. They dont fall apart when washed and they are warmer. Saves alot on batting.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 AM

Could you tell me what is freecycle that everyone is talking about Thanks
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
For myself I would rather spend my time/money/life making 10 GOOD quality quilts vs. spending my time/money/life making a thousand cheap quilts. So I save up for those special things!

for all else (charity work) I do scrappy stuff using up shirts I buy at my thrift store for $.23!

I also buy denim, flannel and wool and re-purpose those items as well!

YOu can save by not buying more magazines and books..take the time to revisit the ones you already have on the shelves!

DO NOT print off every pattern somebody sends a link to..instead, save the file or bookmark the site and then revisit in a year and see if you still like it.

DO NOT buy every template, ruler or notion mentioned at guild, or on this group...instead see if you make what you already work for you..99% of the time you can!

Each time you avoid a "spur of the moment" purchase, log what it was, and how much it was. Then once a month add that up and see what you saved for next GOOD project!

Take a weekend (a long one is best) and make KITS up using magazines, printed off patterns, etc...using only your stash...then when the impulse to shop hits, shop in your kit box! These can be little gifts, home decor, holiday items...just remember, even something small is good!

Make an inventory of what you already have, include the original cost, todays value, and the amount you have on hand. THat alone might keep you from spending any more!

If you do not belong to a guild join one..you will gain more education, more resources by doing so!

Join your local Freecycle and watch for give aways...or ask for them!
:)
Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 AM

I find with online projects/patterns, I copy the link and then post it to a page on my computer. Open a Word page, I set up table-style and it is basically like this:

Beautiful butterfly quilt / (link)
Quilt tutorial - binding / (link)

That saves me a lot of paper and ink for a pattern that I "might" make someday. Then when I am looking for something to do, I browse my list. I also use this idea for recipes and label it like "Chicken - creamy casserole"/ (link). In the case of recipes, if crester a table, you can sort the list.
Marysewfun