Is this a 201?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 AM

Okay, so found another machine off Craig's List. After reading and re-reading The Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Blog about identifying machines - I think I've got this one right (http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/vi...ingers_30.html).

Can someone confirm that this is a 201-3? Has the round plate for the stitch regulator, has what was referred to on the blog site I referenced above as the steep ski slope on top left, has the tension dial on the front, has the little white light switch on the front. Also looks like potted motor (which is what would distinguish this from being a 201-2 - which has a belted motor). Additionally I noticed that it looks like it is a flat plate under the spool pin.

I can see that there is a beige cord hanging down from the bottom right side of the cabinet. That tells me that at least part of the machine has been rewired (because aren't all original cords black)?

Did I do okay identifying this one? They are asking $40 for it. It has been posted since the first of January on Craig's List. The machine is located a little over 2 hours from me, so trying to decide if I want to make the drive. Machine looks reasonably clean. I have emailed the seller to ask if it has the bobbin case and any feet. The cabinet would need to be refinished, but seems to be in decent condition (compared to many I see).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]307787[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]307786[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]307788[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-201-3_temple.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Singer 201-3_Temple.pdf (43.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: pdf
Singer 201-3_Temple.pdf (43.1 KB, 106 views)
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

201s have a drop in bobbin - no bobbin case is used
201-3 has a belted motor
201-2 has a potted motor
They are very nice machines - really good price
Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 AM

I'm learning! Thanks for the info on the bobbin. I knew it was a horizontal bobbin, didn't realize it didn't have a case. My Janome is a drop in bobbin but has a case. Now I am wondering if I am thinking of the right part. My 15-91 - vertical bobbin - has a case. Feel like this is such a dumb question to ask - but the case is the piece that the bobbin goes in, then you place the case in the machine, right?

Is there any other question I should be asking about this machine? Seems a good price for this area - everyone is asking $200 to $300 easily for machines that look in very bad shape and with no cabinets or cases.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
I'm learning! Thanks for the info on the bobbin. I knew it was a horizontal bobbin, didn't realize it didn't have a case. My Janome is a drop in bobbin but has a case. Now I am wondering if I am thinking of the right part. My 15-91 - vertical bobbin - has a case. Feel like this is such a dumb question to ask - but the case is the piece that the bobbin goes in, then you place the case in the machine, right?

Is there any other question I should be asking about this machine? Seems a good price for this area - everyone is asking $200 to $300 easily for machines that look in very bad shape and with no cabinets or cases.
the case is the piece that the bobbin goes in, then you place the case in the machine, right? yes but the 201 'case' doesn't come out to re-fill - the bobbin just goes in.
I think you are out of questions - go and turn the machine. Does it turn smoothly? Does it stitch? Does it need tension attention? Is there any rust? Is there any dried up oil slowing things down? Are the wires in good shape? Does it have a knee or a foot control? Are there attachments? You can always offer less money but do it before you travel 2 hours. Those 201s are a nice beast but if you have a 15-91 you will favor the 15-91 if it is in good shape. The 15-91 will FM better than anything. Both will sew about anything you put under it. I think it is an excellent price if it is in good shape. I still favor the Japanese 15 clones...
Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
the case is the piece that the bobbin goes in, then you place the case in the machine, right? yes but the 201 'case' doesn't come out to re-fill - the bobbin just goes in.
I think you are out of questions - go and turn the machine. Does it turn smoothly? Does it stitch? Does it need tension attention? Is there any rust? Is there any dried up oil slowing things down? Are the wires in good shape? Does it have a knee or a foot control? Are there attachments? You can always offer less money but do it before you travel 2 hours. Those 201s are a nice beast but if you have a 15-91 you will favor the 15-91 if it is in good shape. The 15-91 will FM better than anything. Both will sew about anything you put under it. I think it is an excellent price if it is in good shape. I still favor the Japanese 15 clones...
Okay, I see. I went and googled it after reading this - and I see pictures of the bobbin on the blog I mentioned above.

I'll have to ask the seller if she sews - I did ask her if the machine turned on when plugged in and ran. I do think that's a good price - but it is a 2 hour drive. And I am considering what you are saying to me about the 15-91 versus the 201. I already know that someday I would like to have a treadle (totally different machine/sewing experience). I have also considered that the final machine I would like might be a 301 (because many note that they love their 301's for quilting - and because it is also different in look than the 15-91 and 201 - but apparently has the smallest bobbin of the bunch).

Think I won't be in a rush to drive there (would have to find time in my schedule). If it is meant to be, it will be if it is still available when I would have time to make that drive (probably the soonest would be 2 weeks from now).
Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/01/...-machines.aspx Jenny did a comparison between the 15 & the 201 machines
Don't discount the ability of the 15 clone machines - they are cheap and pretty simple to fix