Bobbin case tension spring

Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by quiltgal View Post
I think that it is worth your while to repair the original bobbin case, if you can! I recently had a customer email me about the stock #45750 (older Featherweight bobbin case) and the #45751 (sort of newer Featherweight bobbin case). Did a little research and my 38 and 48 have the #45750 which maybe ever so slightly different from the #45751 which my 52 has. So we know that Singer changed the stock number and was putting it in as they built the later machines. She said that she had purchased a #45751 replacement on line (not from me though I sell them) and it did not fit her machine. So, I grabbed a #45750 and a #45751, but could not see any difference myself. All I can say right now, is that the #45751 sticks and is hard to remove when put into the machine that has the #45750 bobbin case.
Thanks for that Kathleen! I wonder if that's why we often hear that another bobbin case might not fit your FW as well as the original, even if it's a Singer BC.

Wow,..I just looked up my cost on that bobbin case. $50 if you can get it is a deal.

I will get on those pics later today.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Sew-Classic sells the 45751 case so I emailed her for clarification. Our FW is a 1948 and I was contemplating getting a spare case for it. I asked her if the cases she sells will fit my FW.

Joe
Old 10-19-2012, 11:48 AM

K,.. I have all of the pics taken, but I ran out of time to doodle on them, resize and post. I will do that when I get home this evening.

Joe, the BC is on sale at the moment at SC, if it will fit, I'd like to know too, she's got it on sale for well below my cost on it.... I checked, the 3 cases I have here are all 45750 so I can't help with that discovery at all.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:58 AM

ArchaicArcane,

I've already got her response. Here it is:

Joseph,

I suggest you submit your query to the vintage Singer Yahoo group. Personally, I have found the tested bobbin cases to fit in all years of the 221 that I have had cross my path. I have found that some of the replacement cases don't fit any of the machines correctly, which is why I test sew a strip with each and every one before I pack it up and ship it out. I just write off the junk ones and toss them out- cost of doing business these days.

Thank You,
Jenny
Shop.Sew-Classic.com
Discount Sewing Machine Parts & Supplies
I'm not going to be buying anything right now. To many other projects in the way. When I do I'll report on it one way or the other.

Joe
Old 10-19-2012, 07:37 PM

OK,.. here we go:

You've probably already done a bunch of this, but I thought I'd illustrate the process from the beginning, for posterity.
Step 1: Remove the screw with the arrow pointing to it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371132[/ATTACH]

Step 2: It'll look like this when you've removed it. Once it does, flip it over.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371133[/ATTACH]

Step 3: Flip the latch up and push it out of the bobbin case (Sort of North North West on this pic)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371134[/ATTACH]

Step 4: Use a screwdriver to hook and push the spring out of the slot. (Towards North North East on this picture)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371135[/ATTACH]

Step 5: Yay! The spring is out!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371136[/ATTACH]

Step 6: Installation is the reverse of removal Slide the Spring into the slot where the top arrow is. Then slide the latch back in making sure that it sits inside the slots
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371137[/ATTACH]

Step 7: Grasp the latch and pull it toward you. Sometimes it also helps to push from where the arrow is. Flip the bobbin case back over and reinstall the screw.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371138[/ATTACH]

Step 8: Test the latch to see that it moves smoothly and snaps back the way you expect.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371139[/ATTACH]

See the next post for something that you might as well do while you're in there..
Attached Thumbnails fwbobbincase1.jpg   fwbobbincase2.jpg   fwbobbincase3.jpg   fwbobbincase4.jpg   fwbobbincase5.jpg  

fwbobbincase6.jpg   fwbobbincase7.jpg   fwbobbincase8.jpg  
Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 PM

Clean the thread path under the bobbin case spring
It's unreal how much crap collects under here:

Step 1: Rotate the Bobbin Case until you see both of the two tiny screws
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371142[/ATTACH]
Step 2: Turn the right screw until it's fully seated. Make note of how many turns it is until it's fully seated. This is your tension adjustment. Counting the turns will let you set it to the same setting as it was before you did this cleaning.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371143[/ATTACH]
Step 3: Remove both screws carefully, they're tiny, and they jump! Put them aside for now. The spring will probably fall off, just set it aside with the two screws. Clean the path where the thread goes.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371144[/ATTACH]
Step 4: Replace the spring, and make sure the curled end is tucked into the hole.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371145[/ATTACH]
Step 5: I like to tighten the left screw about half way before I install the right screw.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371146[/ATTACH]
Step 6: Install the Right screw, and tighten then loosen it to the setting you recorded above. Don't forget to fully tighten the left screw when you're finished.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371147[/ATTACH]
Step 7: Now you're finished!! Time to test sew!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371148[/ATTACH]

If you find that the lower tension isn't what it was, adjust that right screw. Turn it clockwise if it's a little too loose. A little counter clockwise if it's a little too tight. Make tiny adjustments, 1/8 turn at a time. Test sew after each adjustment.

And a picture of your model for this particular tutorial. She's all ready to be stripped and repainted:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]371149[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fwbobbincase9.jpg   fwbobbincase10.jpg   fwbobbincase11.jpg   fwbobbincase12.jpg   fwbobbincase13.jpg  

fwbobbincase14.jpg   fwbobbincase15.jpg   fwdismantled.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 06:47 AM

Wow! Great tutorial.... Thanks
Old 06-14-2013, 04:46 PM

Location: Back-n-forth between homes in Corvallis, MT and Thermopolis, WY
Default Featherweight Question..

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Clean the thread path under the bobbin case spring
It's unreal how much crap collects under here:

Step 1: Rotate the Bobbin Case until you see both of the two tiny screws
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371142[/ATTACH]
Step 2: Turn the right screw until it's fully seated. Make note of how many turns it is until it's fully seated. This is your tension adjustment. Counting the turns will let you set it to the same setting as it was before you did this cleaning.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371143[/ATTACH]
Step 3: Remove both screws carefully, they're tiny, and they jump! Put them aside for now. The spring will probably fall off, just set it aside with the two screws. Clean the path where the thread goes.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371144[/ATTACH]
Step 4: Replace the spring, and make sure the curled end is tucked into the hole.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371145[/ATTACH]
Step 5: I like to tighten the left screw about half way before I install the right screw.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371146[/ATTACH]
Step 6: Install the Right screw, and tighten then loosen it to the setting you recorded above. Don't forget to fully tighten the left screw when you're finished.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371147[/ATTACH]
Step 7: Now you're finished!! Time to test sew!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371148[/ATTACH]

If you find that the lower tension isn't what it was, adjust that right screw. Turn it clockwise if it's a little too loose. A little counter clockwise if it's a little too tight. Make tiny adjustments, 1/8 turn at a time. Test sew after each adjustment.

And a picture of your model for this particular tutorial. She's all ready to be stripped and repainted:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]371149[/ATTACH]

I see you've stripped the machine for 'painting/restoration', how did you remove the Singer brass badge w/o damaging the 'mushroom' ends of the rivets. And finally, can you refer me to a trusted person who can do the painting/decal application on my '1933' AD542789, as she's the 1243'rd off the assembly line and I want her to be a Lady once more.. Thanks
Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Clenet View Post
I see you've stripped the machine for 'painting/restoration', how did you remove the Singer brass badge w/o damaging the 'mushroom' ends of the rivets. And finally, can you refer me to a trusted person who can do the painting/decal application on my '1933' AD542789, as she's the 1243'rd off the assembly line and I want her to be a Lady once more.. Thanks
Ahh,... well, one of the rivets did break. You should be able to bend it up gently a little at a time, I think I did it with a blade screwdriver (clearance issues).

I will replace both with something that "looks right", likely from an antiques restoration place. (There's a good one in Edmonton) Keeping in mind, as soon as it's repainted, it won't be original anymore, so I have a little latitude.

I have no recommendations. I do my own painting, so I haven't tried anyone. I think that there are others here who have made recommendations, I think if you search, maybe?

She'll always be a lady, just a little rough around the edges. Not unlike me in fact.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:08 AM

ArchaicArcane Can you please post your tutorial some place so we can find it in the future? Maybe in the tutes section ?