Boye Display Case

Old 04-20-2015, 06:34 AM

HelenAnn - I started out getting most of the shuttles with the machines. I didn't originally play on getting a display case. But I did want some "extras" and needles. I spend too much time on eBay- at one point probably 2-3 hours a day (wasn't getting any sewing done!) and found a couple of bulk lots with filled tubes and long bobbins in clips.

The display case does not hold all that much of any one item, so I would figure that retail establishments kept a larger supply on hand to restock the display, and believe some of what I got was from restocking supplies.

And as we all know what happens once the ball gets rolling - I started paying attention to the cases, and got one at a very good deal that was about 3/4 full of supplies. I figured that was enough, but then a good friend found one at a good price, also about 3/4" full at a antique shop, so she called an asked if I wanting it. And for the price, I did. That one is older, and I'll put it in the Shed. The newer one I'll keep fully stocked and in the house.

If you can afford to make larger purchases - it's way more cost effective than paying $10 a shuttle to get them one at a time. However then you also have to want a wide assortment, very few people do. Often it would not be cost effective to buy in bulk to sell, as most of what you'll get will be the odder ones, and very few people are looking for them.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:44 AM

Christy,

the numbering is confusing. The Boye numbers go from 1- 27, and include 2.5 and 20.5 as those are needle sized added at a later date.

Those numbers include both shuttles and needles,

#1 is the shuttle and long bobbins that fit Household Mfg machines
#2 is the needle that fits the Household machine

One very interesting item, the picture on the case does not always match the shuttle. I'll need to do more research, but I think that over time Boye may have changed the shuttle design slightly, but left the picture as it was OR the picture is what the original MFG shuttle looks like, and not the BOYE aftermarket one.

There is also a BOYE chart that shows foot type as a guide to help identify machines. This is what got me very interested in the Boye supplies, since I'm very interested in the attachments.

Some interesting reading
http://needlebar.org/main/boye/index.html

and the Twin Boye

http://needlebar.org/cm/thumbnails.p...ds=on&type=AND
Old 04-20-2015, 10:24 AM

Cathy,
Thanks so much for sharing. I love the idea of collecting for each type of needle & shuttle. It is dangerous for me to like your idea!

Needle #20

Davis and White, old style, not sure I have a machine that takes this size - I use to . . .
Do you have an older Davis VF or a White VS?

needle #23
Singer round shank - don't know if I have one, does the 12 take this needle?
Yes it does. As do some German copies of the Singer 12.

I have a few cases. I collect them for their content rather than for the cases themselves. I have older cases too, so need to convert the numbers.

Christy,

The cases can be very confusing. Basically, Boye came up with the idea that although there were many many sewing manufacturers with various models, they could condense the number of needles, bobbin cases/shuttles and bobbins/shuttles to less than 30. This was from 197 sewing machine models identified and noted on the case. Then they created a case to sit on the counter of the General Store, which allowed the owner to easily service the patron. They simply dialed to the correct manufacturer/model, opened the little door and presto. If there was a doubt, the top of the case has pictures to compare shuttle and needle.

Realize Boye could only do this at a given point in time. New machines, new models... Manufacturers changed the needs to make their stuff unique!

From there things got a little confusing. Different models/designs of the Boye Case came out over time. For the most part we refer to the OLD Cases and the New Cases for ease of discussion and most often speak in terms of the New Case. Boye also created stickers to attach to the case for newer machines.

The most confusing aspect is at one point, we believe an employee of Boye made a huge mistake with the numbers. It is referred to as the Numbering Mystery. From one batch to another of later cases (New) a group of numbers 1-7 and also 8-16, got reversed. Too confusing to explain here, but go here http://needlebar.org/main/boye/index.html for a thorough review.

So, when I find lose Boye needle tubes, unless I know each needle, which I don't, I would not know for sure if they were New or Old. If nothing else, understand that, fore example, if you know your New Home machine would take a Boye 3 needle from the referenced (New) Boye Case, make sure a seller knows if the tube is new or old.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:28 AM

Oops, sorry, I am on digest and when I hit the link, the latest posts were not there. Sorry for any duplication of what was already stated.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:45 AM

Don't worry about that farmhousesewer - does not hurt to have more info.

Do you know if there were any display cases made with the "wrong" numbers? I've bought one assortment that had the "old" numbers - it's easy with the Singer/White to tell because they are so very different.

I have an older Davis and older VS white, but think they are not "old" enough. At one point I had a Davis VF that was the low arm model. I bought it because I just could not leave it at the antique shop (I know the owner) and when I came to my senses - passed it on to a guy in CA that collects the early machines. I have the "last" version of Davis VF that takes the 15x1 needle.

I believe my oldest White is the small Peerless model (reconditioned to electric at some time) but I also have what I think is a VS2. Both of these take the same shuttle with the pin in the middle, and I think the one that takes the longer needle is the one with the boat shuttle (same for Davis). If it turns out that is the case, I'll either have to decide to get another boat shuttle machine and a WW8, or not have those two early machines in the collection.

And it's good to know the Singer 12 takes the round shank. That is my one and only boat shuttle machine, and I would like to keep it that way. I have a collection of Singers along with my other collection, so I can justify (in my mind) having a Singer that is pre "High Arm" style.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:14 AM

The old style numbering Boye tubes are possible but not likely. When in doubt verify needle or shuttle dimensions.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 04-20-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:21 AM

Always good to verify dimensions unless the seller already has. Most of the contents of the tubes in both the cases I bought did not match the number on the cover. But it's so easy to take off three or four covers to look inside, and then get them back on the wrong tubes.

what amazes me is how often a seller will say "it came that way" and not consider that maybe someone else at some point in the life of this item that's around 100 years old - messed with things! Just because it was that way when they bought it (even if it was 50 years ago on something that is 100 years old) that does not mean it came from the factory that way.

Jon- what Davis models take the longer (Boye 20) needle?
Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 AM

Cathy,

Yes, the caps can fall off and get mixed up. I just got a bunch of shuttles like that and had to use the Boye tin pictures to figure out what they were. Like you mentioned some are slightly different than pics, usually the thread path at the tail end.

Boye 20 can be used on any Davis machine using Davis long but it is not quite the right needle. I looked in Ismacs needle list and get "Davis H.A. [<#37500]" for application. The serial number might be good but Davis only had a Low Arm model in the early 1870's when 37500 was made. Also states Davis long used on "Davis H.A.[>#37500]". I can count on one hand the number of Davis machines I've seen lower than SN# 37500.

I believe the White Peerless and early White models and use the Boye 20. I'm not well versed on White though and at one time I asked about it in a forum and got no response. The 1x1 is used on quite a few early machines other than Davis and White. I got 75 hits on the ismacs needle list when searching "1x1" though some might be for 1x11.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 04-20-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:58 AM

I checked the White Peerless I have, and it came with the shorter White needle (Boye 12). I don't know if it will sew with that needle though. Someone could have bought the machine years ago and bought a needle they though would fit - and never got it to sew.

And it's also possible that when it was reconditioned to electric, the shop that did that may have adjusted the needle bar to take the shorter needle. Though I've seen some that if you lower the needle bar, the needle clamp will contact the foot when the foot is raised.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

what a beautiful collection of old machines.