Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cabinet and stool weekend find >

Cabinet and stool weekend find

Cabinet and stool weekend find

Old 09-08-2014, 08:52 AM

Good eye. That last one is the one I'd aim for first. Looks like a lot of accessories and the price is better. If I wasn't picky about color, I'd try the one in the garage sale ad. I can't tell if it's paint or the blond finish I don't care for though. Either way it's not quite what I want. I don't mind repairing a finish but I detest stripping paint and avoid having to do it these days.

My budget is blown for the month though. I should probably do something crazy like sell off a couple lesser machines to start building a fund for the others, the only problem is I don't want to part with any of them.
Rodney
Old 09-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I should probably do something crazy like sell off a couple lesser machines to start building a fund for the others, the only problem is I don't want to part with any of them.
Rodney
I'm in the same boat. I keep saying I should sell off my doubles but then I'll use one and just can't make myself part with it yet. I think however, that I would possibly trade off the pink Selectomatic for a dark green one since I already have the pink Riviera and the dark green Brother has been on my want list for a long time.

Cari
Old 09-08-2014, 09:28 AM

I hear ya. The timing's got to be right (price, location, condition, machine).

The blonde one's in really excellent condition and the machine's nice, too (what I can see of it). That's probably the one I'd go for but the 2nd one is my favorite color and in very good shape.

Proof that reasonable prices align with the planets:

Mine are both maroon with black trim. The 201-2 machine is near-mint and the cabinet is in good shape. (Not quite 'very good', but good.) That one was $60. The 301A is near-mint and borders on mint. Its cabinet is in fair condition but definitely refurbish-able (no lifting or missing veneer, no big chips or really deep scratches, etc.). It was $40. The matching stools were included with both machines/cabinets. And I think I made both purchases within a month of one another. And the prices paid were the original prices.

I agree that the deco cabinet is great, especially if it comes with a great machine. You'll find yours.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:41 AM

Another for Rodney:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/fuo/4655532300.html
Old 09-08-2014, 12:11 PM

That one would be perfect. It's just a matter of $65 that I don't currently have. Maybe if it's still around at the end of the month....
Rodney
Old 09-08-2014, 12:37 PM

I hope so! That would be great. Perhaps they might be willing to hold it for you if you provide your name, phone #, etc. and if you promise to pay the asking price. It's in very good shape.

At any rate, bookmark and let's keep an eye on it.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:59 PM

I have the same cabinet and it is blond wood. The drawers have a lock inside to the back of the drawer. You must push down to release the catch. I use a 4" hand forged nail that has a blunt point to push into the lock. I'm talking about the white painted one.

Last edited by Pat M.; 09-08-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:54 AM

I have the exact same set up as the second CL posting by KenmoreRulesAll, including the stool and all the stuff left in the drawers and the stool by the owner--most of it still there for me to plunder through when I need something from that "era"...... I absolutely love it-it is my "go to" machine for any kind of straight stitch sewing, I love the whisper quiet stitching that it does.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:34 AM

Gorgeous, now why can't i find one like that?, would be lovely not to have to lift my machine onto the dining table every time i want to use it,
Old 09-10-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
Hey Rodney, I just opened the CL link to see what the cabinet looked like and the price is now listed as $50.
Maybe you should contact the owners...... LOL

Elaine