Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cinderella box recovered!

Blog Entries
    Joe, you would just measure and sew it in a box style for the sides and the middle, hem the bottom. Just like making a pillow with one open end.

She's a beauty and that's awesome that you have a box and cover for it. I really like the fabric that you chose.

I just spent a couple of weeks cleaning a Cinderella that I bought on eBay over a year ago. It has no base, no motor and no foot pedal :-( but it makes decent stitches when I turn the handwheel so I'm wondering if a handcrank would do the trick.

Did you know that the whole outside of the machine comes off for cleaning? I thought mine had arrived broken because the front section had loosened up.

Beautiful machine! I am going to keep my eyes open for one. I have lots of machines, but not one of those.

Making the slip cover requires a lot of measuring...I made a paper pattern from freezer paper that covered the top and two ends, made the two side panels and sewed them in. added an inch around the bottom to wrap around to the inside. Carefully cut the holes for the handles. Used a lot of fabric glue. Painted the entire box with watered down fabric glue before the final "fitting". Put an extra piece of fabric between the base of the handles to camoflage the slit that has to be cut to allow the slip cover to go over the handle (this hides any gap). Used fabric that would be forgiving (an all-over pattern, no stripes or recognizable repeat to match up).cut away fabric that went over the latches, folded it back and used lots of fabric glue to hold it in place and prevent fraying. The important thing is to use fabric glue, that will dry clear, that is designed to go through the wash and still hold. And don't let anyone look too closely! If their nose is less than 6" away from the final product, give 'em a smack (jk)
    Any day spent quilting is a good day!
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Does she have Glass Slippers?
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

That is one BEAUTIFUL machine....I've never heard of this kind before...just when I thought my "machine wish list" was about done, you've shown me one more. Thanks for sharing. You have done a wonderful job of putting it all back together including the carrying case.
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A
    Colleen S.

I think you were Cinderella's new-found "prince"! That is one beautiful machine even if it is loud! It's just beautiful to look at and enjoy. What a nice treasure you found. Sometimes we have to search for treasures and brush away a lot of dirt to get the jewel, but look at what you got and a beautiful covering as well. Way to go!!!

What a beautiful machine!! Lucky you! Thanks for sharing. Lol I've added one more to my wish list. It just keeps getting longer!! Hahahaha
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

I've been there done that...... The motor boss is not positioned inthe right spot for a hand crank and the bushing on the end of the main shaft is too small for the spoked hand wheel of fit on properly.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    I just spent a couple of weeks cleaning a Cinderella that I bought on eBay over a year ago. It has no base, no motor and no foot pedal :-( but it makes decent stitches when I turn the handwheel so I'm wondering if a handcrank would do the trick.

Did you know that the whole outside of the machine comes off for cleaning? I thought mine had arrived broken because the front section had loosened up.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    I've been there done that...... The motor boss is not positioned inthe right spot for a hand crank and the bushing on the end of the main shaft is too small for the spoked hand wheel of fit on properly.

Cathy
    Cathy, surely you can find a way to put a knob right on a hand wheel??? Kind of like a steering wheel turner knob? I have one of those little Cinderella machines. My DGD checks to make sure I haven't sold it every time she comes over. It had the motor taken off and no foot pedal so the girls can't use it anyway. I think I would let them use it as a HC if it were possible. Once I asked Lovie if I could sell it and she shot back "To me???" pathetic. It is a cute machine but I'm not sure it is a good machine. I feel like my DGDs need a GOOD machine to learn on. I gave them a Spartan with a finger guard. They think it is nice BUT Cinderella has flowers - cool flowers and Cinderella's name is on it. My other grand daughter, Mercy sits with the little Cinderella machine and talks to the machine or makes up stories about the machine. She has visual problems so she can't sew but she wants to and she loves to make up amusing stories. I caught her looking at the lack of motor and lack of foot control and she told the machine, "It;s ok I can't sew either, Cinderella."
    Last edited by miriam; 05-16-2013 at 03:00 AM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast